garage made grab bar

dustin7021

Nov 2, 2008
commerce twp, mi
www.myspace.com
so i decided to make myself a grab bar out of scrap steel from my shop and garage, also had to make the mounts on the left side of the sub frame in order to bolt it together, still have some spots to touch up and im gonna cap off the round bar stock on the sub frame on both sides(had to rebuild the left side do to last owner), the bar will be linex'd tmrw.... what do u guys think??

Attachments

• blaster 1.jpg
    blaster 1.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 317
  • grab bar 2.jpg
    grab bar 2.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 311
  • grab bar.jpg
    grab bar.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 284
Reactions: mud runner
Top marks for your making of the bar.

I see one small problem, although the bar is very strong it may be too strong.

A grab bar should be weaker than the frame it bolts on to, otherwise the bar will take the shock and the frame may bend.

One couldpossibly overcome the problem by using bolts that were smaller and would shear off before the frame was damaged.

good point blaaster, im going to gusset the rear section of the frame to the brace i put in just in front of the plate that goes across the subframe for the rear fender... not sure if u guys can see the round bar i welded in or not

The round bar stock was one of my concerns, everything is extremly strong rearward of that point, the frame forward of it is now very prone to bending if sideways forces from the grab bar get excerted.

I would be reinforcing the bar to the frame with a long gusset to spread the area of forces as far forward as possible.

Last edited:
The round bar stock was one of my concerns, everything is extremly strong rearward of that point, the frame forward of it is now very prone to bending if sideways forces from the grab bar get excerted.

I would be reinforcing the bar to the frame with a long gusset to spread the area of forces as far forward as possible.

I still have some things to address with modifiing the frame for strength but I def appreciate the input tho