Front end swap

midlifecrisis

Mar 26, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
Heres the deal.

I have been building a bike for my wife, its a 97 blaster.

I have an oppurtunity to buy a set of professionally extended (+1.5, +1) stock a arms from a valued member here on the forum. They have been extended using 4150 chromoly, and he says the arms will bend before the extension does.

I have found a set of 16" aftermarket front shocks from a guy locally who isnt using them on his raptor anymore. Will the shocks be too long, and will they bolt right up?

Their is also a rear shock in the mix available from the same machine, will it bolt up to the stock swinger, and if so, will it be ridiculously long?

Im also wondering about the stock banshee axle that I have off my 2001 banshee. Id like to bolt it and the carrier up to my stock length swinger, will it work as a bolt on, or is there some swinger mods thatll have to be done?

Also, whats the deal with the rear brake GSXR swap...is it worth it?

Any help would be great!

4130 is chromoly. 4150 is tool steel for machinery....

Tater's extended a-arms are generally for stock length shocks unless he made the shock mounts different.

16" shocks are getting into the LT range no matter what (ball joint bind will be a problem at that length unless the shock mount is made for it)

How long is the stock rear shock and what did it fit off on originally?

If you have a banshee brake hub (the part that the rotor bolts to) a banshee axle can be used on a blaster with an 03+ blaster carrier. Banshee carriers are significantly shorter and "spacers" would have to be use to take up that slack.

The GSX-R brakes are a "bolt on" fit for the 88-02 blasters in place of the mechanical rear calipers. Awk08 makes the brackets for those for certain year model GSX-R hydraulic systems

Alright then! Im gonna pass on the shocks, due to the length...but take the arms and use either the stock blasters shocks for now, or use my spare pair of banshee fronts. Ill be keeping my stock rear blaster shock for now.

Thanks for your help!