Fluid Leak?

theskater101388

Apr 26, 2009
my friends '99 blaster is leaking from somewhere in the front and i cant figure out where. there is fluid all over the front where the 2 front a-arms meet and pivot at that little box where the grease fittings are. that is covered in fluid and it is also all over this black steering shaft(idk if thats what it is or not) that runs from the top of the bike to the bottom in the front. we cant figure out where this fluid is coming from and its getting worse. its not hydraulic fluid cuz its just basic cabled brakes. is there any kind of fluids in the forks/shocks in the front or in that steering shaft thing that could be leaking from? if there is fluid in the front suspension i dont know how the oil would be getting so high up though cuz there is oil residue basically all the way up that black shaft. which is in the center in line with the shocks.
im just lookin for ideas where to check to kind of narrow it down. It is a redish fluid too and doesnt really smell like gear oil, and the fact that it is red kinda leads me to believe its not gear oil since that would way more of a blackish color by now.
Thanks guys

wow you nailed that problem with the hose comin from the crank case. but there was not really an overfill of oil in the cases cuz i know we only put in the recommended amount in and there was only less when we drained it. how would we stop the leaking from the hose and draining wrong amounts of oil out? could we just block that hose off and have no overfill hose or is that important for air or somethin?

already located the problem, now its getting it to stop leaking out from the tube when the case is not really overfilled at all....