flooding carb help

teamyamaha

Apr 2, 2015
since I've had my blaster every time i leave it parked it leaks fuel slowly out of the bottom of the carb drain hose. whenever i want to use it i need to shake the bike hard and kick it about 50 times. And even when it starts for the first 2 minutes or so it idles rough until i wait and then give it some gas and it plays out. Then once i start riding it runs perfect. and every time i turn it off it will start on the first kick. But then when i park it for a week or 2 same thing all over again. Im sorry if this problem is a repeat i just hope someone has some suggestions.
Today i kicked it for a long time and nothing was happening so i finally pulled off the carb and opened it up. It was very clean inside, I even checked the float and it seemed perfect. i still sprayed it down with carb cleaner, let it sit then re installed it. After that i tried starting it and it still took 50 tries and ran like crap for a couple minutes. Than i drove it, turned it off, and it started first try. Its driving me nuts!

since I've had my blaster every time i leave it parked it leaks fuel slowly out of the bottom of the carb drain hose. whenever i want to use it i need to shake the bike hard and kick it about 50 times. And even when it starts for the first 2 minutes or so it idles rough until i wait and then give it some gas and it plays out. Then once i start riding it runs perfect. and every time i turn it off it will start on the first kick. But then when i park it for a week or 2 same thing all over again. Im sorry if this problem is a repeat i just hope someone has some suggestions.
Today i kicked it for a long time and nothing was happening so i finally pulled off the carb and opened it up. It was very clean inside, I even checked the float and it seemed perfect. i still sprayed it down with carb cleaner, let it sit then re installed it. After that i tried starting it and it still took 50 tries and ran like crap for a couple minutes. Than i drove it, turned it off, and it started first try. Its driving me nuts!

Sorry forgot to mention, I DO turn the fuel off when i park it, then turn it back on to start it

If there is a drain screw at the bottom of the carb(may be on side but close to bottom) that may not be tight or fully sealing

This was happening to mine with the leak it was a bad petcock. As for it not starting and running like crap for a little first sounds like bad gas. How old is it? Gas is only good for 3 weeks to a month. I throw gas away for all my stuff if it sits for longer than a month. Lawn mower, snowblower , weed wacker.

You're absolutely right and it needs to be addressed but wouldn't his petcock be bad if it was turned off yet still leaking ? Or could it just be left over fuel in the bowl?

If the float level is correct and not hanging up somewhere and the needle and seat not dirty, no fuel will drip from the carby.

I never turn off my fuel at the petcock.

A correctly adjusted float will have the fuel level at just below the overflow drain tube.

i dont think i did a good enough job when i cleaned my carb and i was thinking my petcock was bad and letting fuel into the carb, however it does make sense that the float is off. i had the bike parked in a garage, so i was using a zip tie to hold up the fuel release line under the carb because if i didn't i would come back to a puddle of gas. i cut the zip tie and faced the line back down again and now the bike starts first kick and runs great every time. After i cleaned the carb and put it back on, i did notice a lot less fuel drips onto the floor, so maybe my float was gunked up. Thanks for all the advice. Next time i take off the carb ill soak it and blow out the jets. Is there anything i should or should not do to avoid messing up the jets?

Ill tell you what man, I cleaned my carb 10+ times and put a rebuild kit in it, set and checked the float multiple times and mine still drip sometimes. I'll tap on the float bowl and it will stop. Don't tie the overflow line up, it will dump the gas into your motor

Often the needle and seat collects varnish from the fuel, and allows just a little fuel to seep into the bowl.

Dip a Q tip in toothpaste and rotate in the seat and wipe the taper of the needle with it.

There is a rubber O ring under the seat which sometimes leaks.