First turkey with a .22!

tyler1blaster

Aug 16, 2009
virginia
Me and my dad were working on the grizzly today i went outside to piss and i saw a few turkeys in the woods. odd because i've never seen them here before. I would like to get another tomorrow morning, were they just passing through or do they live here? i saw one turkey running into some brush about 2 weeks ago.

so anyways i was like dad dad i see some turkeys and he said your ass is itchy. i was like uhhh lemme show you so i got my .22 and walked into the woods. sure enough there were like 5 of them. they saw me and took off. i chased them and one went up in a tree and i shot it right in the neck haha. it fell right out of the tree and thump on the ground it fell. here is a quick pic of the little f'er. its a hen i know that i got some good meat from it.

what should i do tomorrow morning to get another one?

a5gdq8.jpg

thats awsome tyler, congrats !! except a day to late, mom coulda saved a few bucks and cooked that up yesterday, but still awsome, go in the woods tomorrow,
a few hundred yards in further than today, and a few hours earlier, and sit there and do some hen calls, if you have a turkey call, look for some grape vines, they love wild grapes and acorns
turkeys are creatures of habit, and will feed the same route day after day, and they also have a very short memory, you actually could have called the other ones back right after you shot that one, they forget real quick that someone just shot at them, and also they know how to keep track of how many are in their flock, so when you do a lost call (it's called a "kee-kee run") they will come back thinking its the one thats missing, but he's on ice right now, hahahaaa
get yourself a call, and look up and learn how to do that kee-kee run call, and some simple "yelps"
maybe youtube ????

thats awsome tyler, congrats !! except a day to late, mom coulda saved a few bucks and cooked that up yesterday, but still awsome, go in the woods tomorrow,
a few hundred yards in further than today, and a few hours earlier, and sit there and do some hen calls, if you have a turkey call, look for some grape vines, they love wild grapes and acorns
turkeys are creatures of habit, and will feed the same route day after day, and they also have a very short memory, you actually could have called the other ones back right after you shot that one, they forget real quick that someone just shot at them, and also they know how to keep track of how many are in their flock, so when you do a lost call (it's called a "kee-kee run") they will come back thinking its the one thats missing, but he's on ice right now, hahahaaa
get yourself a call, and look up and learn how to do that kee-kee run call, and some simple "yelps"
maybe youtube ????

Thanks! Early or in the evening? i think this was more luck than anything. haha. but i mean there were more.

a few hours before you saw them today, they will feed the same route/time tomorrow, making a big loop back to their roosting area, do you have a call ???

heres the kee kee call, lost turkeys make it to find the flock..............

and heres one part of a 3 part series, looks like it covers alot of different calls, look for the other parts.............

Last edited by a moderator:
also when you head back into that area, look for where they have been "scratching"
you'll see where they have all the leaves scratched away, chances are they'll be back tomorrow, same time

Reactions: tyler1blaster
Me and my dad were working on the grizzly today i went outside to piss and i saw a few turkeys in the woods. odd because i've never seen them here before. I would like to get another tomorrow morning, were they just passing through or do they live here? i saw one turkey running into some brush about 2 weeks ago.

so anyways i was like dad dad i see some turkeys and he said your ass is itchy. i was like uhhh lemme show you so i got my .22 and walked into the woods. sure enough there were like 5 of them. they saw me and took off. i chased them and one went up in a tree and i shot it right in the neck haha. it fell right out of the tree and thump on the ground it fell. here is a quick pic of the little f'er. its a hen i know that i got some good meat from it.

what should i do tomorrow morning to get another one?

a5gdq8.jpg

Nice Bird, I'm jealous.

heres the kee kee call, lost turkeys make it to find the flock..............
YouTube - Turkey Calling Instruction- KeeKee

and heres one part of a 3 part series, looks like it covers alot of different calls, look for the other parts.............
YouTube - Turkey Calling 101 version2 pt.3

I learned something today!

Reactions: tyler1blaster
Nice Bird, I'm jealous.

I learned something today!

Thanks! AWK, i dont own a call my dad and i have just started getting into hunting small game like rabbits, raccoon, and those critters. Should Dicks sporting goods carry calls? Or even a large local gun shop? Great help have a lil green!

dicks, walmart, kmart, gun shops all carry calls...i think there relatively cheap too...i know my old man has a few...

anyone know if waiting along the trail that they travel on will be a good idea? about the same place where i shot that one but against a tree tucked up in some bushes?

like awk says, ge there earlier, and a bit furter down the traill. With turkeys, they can actually develop a trail that is clearly visible, dumb animals and easy to hunt, well around here anyway, they are everywhere

Nice bird. I:I I am still looking to get my first. Have called a few pretty close but not within range. I dont hunt that much anymore though. Turkeys around here are very skittish and have GREAT eyesight. Have to camo really well and stay very still to get a shot at one around here.

WOW that is so illegal here in MI, Shoot one on roost and with a .22!!!!!!!!!!!!
Any ways if its legal there its all fun and i suggest a shotgun 20 or 12 with #5 or #6 shot

not sure on the va rules, but here in the fall turkey season, i think it's "alls fair"
and most guys do hunt them with rifles in the fall,
spring gobbler season is a different story, no stalking, shotgun only, gobblers only and you do have to wait for them to "fly down" from the roost
i think tylers bird was fully legal for a fall hunt

and tyler, try to find a pushbutton call, very easy to learn, and can be used 1 handed versus 2 hands for a traditional "lynch" style box, allowing you to hold your gun on target while pushing the button with the other

not sure on the va rules, but here in the fall turkey season, i think it's "alls fair"
and most guys do hunt them with rifles in the fall,
spring gobbler season is a different story, no stalking, shotgun only, gobblers only and you do have to wait for them to "fly down" from the roost
i think tylers bird was fully legal for a fall hunt

and tyler, try to find a pushbutton call, very easy to learn, and can be used 1 handed versus 2 hands for a traditional "lynch" style box, allowing you to hold your gun on target while pushing the button with the other

my mom went outside about 6:30 to let her dog out for a walk and she said that she saw some big birds fly out of their trees right about where i spotted the turkeys. thats their roost right? i cant wait to see if i can get a second..

if thats where they're roosting, then either early morning, get in there before daylight, or late afternoon/evening will be when they are there, during the day, they're making their feeding loop, back to that spot

the turkeys where i live are very skittish and you have to camo up really good, and in the spring you can shoot any bird with a beard, so me and my dad went out before legal shooting time at 5:00 and set up around where they usually go, we called in a decent sizze tom but was a little too far when i shot so a few pellets spread out and hit its wing but it killed it and it enede up weighing 20.6 pounds dressed and tasted really god haha

I didnt see a single one. just a deer. i was debating whether to shoot it in the head or to let it pass haha soon enough i'll get a deer with my .22.

just one more thing. tomorrow morning i'm going hunting again. hollow point .36 grain 1280fps or regular round point with 40grains and 1300fps?