First Complete Blaster Build

Cool Bro, Your almost there! Wil;l you be able to make it to Awk Mountain this year. If not I'll stroll down your way to ride, would like to meet ya at some point!

Cool Bro, Your almost there! Wil;l you be able to make it to Awk Mountain this year. If not I'll stroll down your way to ride, would like to meet ya at some point!
Not sure if it will be done by then or if I will have the time to make it this year although I really want to make it. Would definately like to meet up and ride some time too. PA is only about 4 hrs for me and there are lots of great places to ride in eastern OH too.

Heres a few pics of what I have accomplised this week. Not much but as the weather gets better I will be able to do more.

A-arms got a fresh coat of gloss black. They will need another coat or two and some clear still.
2ij0qrc.jpg

adkzo5.jpg

Sprocket hub. The same color as the frame will be. Metallic Cobalt Blue.
314t0k4.jpg

e023ki.jpg

Beautiful new carb courtesy of Slickerthanyou. OKO 30mm.
2na5ld3.jpg

2mcdipv.jpg

11aelms.jpg

Also started to pre-assemble my new bars. Doing away with the HUGE stock kill/light switch. In its place is a standard dirtbike kill and headlight will be a mini rocker switch that takes the place of the oil light in the riser cover. Also new quick adjust billet clutch lever and ProTaper grips.
2iie3pe.jpg

2up4ww6.jpg

eflx1g.jpg

Last edited:
Looking good man. This weather does suck, doesn't look like it's gonna get much better next week either. I still haven't taken the blasty for a rip, to jet thAT 35...

Thanks guys. I'm dying to really get going on this thing. Unfortunately the weather just isnt letting me. Going to take my seat to the upholstery shop this week and have the new cover put on. Slowly but surely.

Well got some good and some not so good updates today. Got a call from the Upholstery Shop this afternoon to tell me my seat is done. Wont have a chance to pick it up till tomorrow or Friday though. Got home this evening and had a package waiting for me from my buddy in the Great White North. Ripped it open faster than a kid on Christmas and found my headlight assembly. Got me motivated so I went out to the garage and got it mounted. Wasnt too bad getting it on. Just had to adjust (bend) the old hood tab forward and down and the light bolted right on. Still need to fab a bracket to attatch the front of the hood down permanently. Will get to that later. Wired up the light and decided I wanted to see it work so I pulled it out to the driveway and fired it up. Light worked ok but I noticed some smoke puffing out of the right front part of the head where it meets the cylinder. :( DAMN...Guess I have a blown head gasket. I remember the last time I rode it it was sucking air and revving on me so I hope that is the only damage. Guess itsnot a huge deal as long as nothing else is damaged since I have a Ken Oconnor Racing redesgned head sitting on the bench waiting to be installed anyway. Probably gonna pull the motor at some point in the next week and get this ball rollin downhill. Really want to be riding by May. Fingers crossed.

New Headlight Installed. Looking Good. Thanks rtaylor and his daughter. I:I
2rcwz0j.jpg

rswk7c.jpg

70jfp2.jpg

a9qru9.jpg

Aghhh, a head gasket is a minor job on an air cooled engine like this.
20 minutes work and 2 beer on a hot day at most. Nice thing about air cooled.

Bike looks very nice, I like the headlight. Good job. Good luck on the headgasket.

Steve

Aghhh, a head gasket is a minor job on an air cooled engine like this.
20 minutes work and 2 beer on a hot day at most. Nice thing about air cooled.

Bike looks very nice, I like the headlight. Good job. Good luck on the headgasket.

Steve

Thanks! Agreed it is a simple job. And I was going to replace it when I install the new head anyway. Just hoping I didn't damage anything else while I was running it. Didn't run too long that way. Just long enough to get back to the trailer. Maybe twenty minutes at most.

Well guys with warm weather quickly approaching and money quickly dwindling I ahve decide to put the "build" on hold. I only need a few minor items at this point to put it back on the trails. Will finish swapping out the parts that I already have (bars, levers, cables, reeds), replace the head gasket, chain and sprockets and get it back to ready to ride. Gonna live with the silver frame and a-arms for this season and worry about painting next winter. May not be as pretty as some of the other rides here but I am getting really antsy to ride. I will get some final pics posted after I get the last few parts installed. Thanks to all who tuned in to this thread and stay tuned for a new one next off-season.