First Blaster

Karnite

Apr 30, 2012
Marblemount, Washington
Well she showed up late last night and I finally got a good look this morning. As I mentioned in the intro thread, I'm pretty new to quads and engines in general. This is going to be a hands on learning project. I was hoping it wouldn't be a full rebuild but it won't turn over at all and there is a nut off the top end so it looks like I'm gonna have to. We'll see how deep it gets as I go.

Here goes quite a few pics, I try to be thorough especially since this is my first time.

DSC06288.jpg

DSC06287.jpg

DSC06289.jpg

DSC06290.jpg

DSC06292.jpg
^^This makes me sad but it doesn't seem crippling.
DSC06293.jpg

DSC06294.jpg

DSC06296.jpg

DSC06297.jpg

DSC06298.jpg
^^ Bonus FMF exhaust system doesn't look too bad.

DSC06299.jpg

DSC06301.jpg

DSC06302.jpg

DSC06303.jpg

DSC06304.jpg
^^Removed nut.
DSC06308.jpg
^^Looks like spark plug wire's been cut.
DSC06311.jpg
^^Love a good box of parts eh?
DSC06310.jpg

DSC06309.jpg
^^The seats in pretty good shape at least XD.

Well there you have it, I've read just about everything I could on this the last few days including the manual. I'm working on getting a physical service manual for convenience. I suppose next step is to pull the head and see what the hold up is. Any opinions or advice is much appreciated!

Just a suggestion, either stick air boot on or cover carb, stick a plug in and power wash it good. Will help keep from junk getting in where you don't need it.

So what did you give for it? I also like convieneance of having a book right next to what I'm working, even if it's on the kitchen table

Well I basically got it for free. I'd given an old nissan to friend for scrap and against my urging to the contrary, he insisted that he'd owe me a little money. He paid $300 for it and gave it to me.

I'm starting to think he got a little ripped off. Right off the bat all the nuts are loose so someone did this already. The piston is all beat up, I think I can even see a piece of metal wedged between the piston and wall. I tried pulling the top end off but it's stuck to that piston good. Any suggestions? Here's some pictures.

DSC06315.jpg

DSC06312.jpg

Along with a picture of the head and reeds, I need to read up some on the reeds, don't know anything about them other than people suggest upgrading from stock XD. The funnel in the middle of the head has one or two little nicks in it, I'm assuming it should be nice and smooth?

DSC06317.jpg

*edit* @wwholden Lol, I live out in the boonies, you can't expect much from most of the people out here :0p. Beer and sex. ...Who am I kidding I guess it's like that most places XD.

Last edited:
Spray it with WD40 and use the end of a hammer handle to try and tap it out from the back of the piston.

What exactly do you mean from the back of the piston? Tried hitting the top end from the left and right trying to work it up but the piston just shifts with it. I may have been a little sissy with it though, don't have a good gauge on how sturdy these things are yet hehe.

Ahah! Got it off. I tapped the piston down with the hammer handle which freed it up to loosen from the bottom. Of course right when I got it off it started raining so I had to tarp it. But I did see that half of one of the piston fins had exploded in there. I haven't been able to look at the bottom end other than that glimpse. There was some loos shrapnel in there though. The top end walls don't seem damaged or even scratched at all. Tried to take some pictures but just couldn't get enough light. Oh and the piston did glide down very smoothly once unjammed. I slowly moved the kick start too just a bit and it was very smooth as well.

Also opened up the carb and jet looks like it says 243, I'm assuming that's 240 and it's just worn. With the rain I'm gonna have to hold further investigation till it stops :0(. Wish I had a garage.

On a side note, what is a good way to clean up that exhaust? It doesn't look rusty, it's just kind of a light tan color. Though the short pipe that goes from the front exhaust system to the silencer does of some heavy rust that I'll need to clean up as well.

grinder with a wire wheel works good, if you don't have access to one, some 0 steel wool works great as well, just requires more elbow grease, then hit it with a few coats of high temp paint.

So here are a couple pics of the piston...

DSC06325.jpg
^^I'd call that toast.
DSC06327.jpg
^^Shrapnel and I'm guess that rainbow color is some sort of bad stress signs?

I'm curious at what point do you know if an engine is just toast and need a whole nother one? I was going to take apart the bottom end today but someone had stripped the heck out of the oil drain plug. Even with vice grips I can't get it to budge :0(. It's stripped and has a slight taper to it so everything you try wants to slide off the end. I'm at a loss what to try short of just opening it up over a drain pan and cleaning up the mess afterwords. Granted that still doesn't solve the stuck drain plug but with all that pretty well ground down shrapnel I'm worried the insides may be beyond fixing.

Again I ask at what point do you know the engine is just toast?

*edit* So after some more research it's sounding like the only major side effect from the piston breaking is the bottom end needs rebuilding to clean out all the loose shrapnel and the engine needs to be rebored as a loose piston is likely what caused the break in the first place. Everyone says take it to a machine shop to get it done, and I'm sure this is a dumb question but, what exactly is a machine shop? Is it going to be the nearest motorsports shop? Or is it something more specific to machining engine parts? Service Centers?

I also found some ideas on the drain plug I'll try tomorrow.

Last edited:
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I feel that if a chunk of skirt that size has gone round with the crank there could be a fair amount of damage to the cases..

You may be lucky that the cases are not cracked or punchered, but in any case the cases will have to be split for inspection and cleaning.

You need to either bite the bullet and tackle the repair yourself, or take to a reputable engine rebuilder.

Yeah I've been keeping my eye out for a frame. There was one or two on here up for free but it's so far away to make it not worth it XD. Since I'm tearing apart the engine anyway, hopefully I'll find a replacement before I get it back together. That is if it's repairable. I'll continue to post pics as I go, time to try some of the drain plug tricks!