Finally new rear suspension

darnizzle8805

Jan 12, 2012
Denton, MD
I just ordered a used z400 rear shock for $31.00 shipped off EBAY, and the KOR bushings. I wish it was the kfx400 because I hear they have stiffer valving or spring rate. My spring is white in color just like my stock Blaster shocks. I can't wait for it to arrive. I ordered the rear first, because I do a lot more sliding than high speed whoops or big bumps. My back and kidneys will thank me, 200+lbs of beef and the stock Blaster pogo stick are not a good match at all, haha.
When I get the money I will order +3+1 a-arms and YFZ 450 front shocks. I should order them now and just save up for the a-arms, because there is a set with white springs on Ebay as I am typing this.

Yamaha YFZ450 Yfz-450 front shocks reservoir 06 07 08 05 04 09 10 11 banshee | eBay

What do you guys think is a good price for stock YFZ450 front shocks?

Last edited by a moderator:
You need the long travel plus a arms to use the 450 shocks. I don't think the shocks will work on the non LT plus a arms.

I know you can use lowering blocks to fit the YFZ450 Shocks on stock A-Arms. I know yzrider had YFZ450 front shocks on stock A-Arms and he used lowering blocks so the shocks sat lower but the A-Arms sat the same as stock

yfz450 shocks on stock a arms would be stiff as f**ck. the yfz is a hell of alot wider then the blaster, making the leverage a LOT different. and i heard the shocks are fairly stiff even on the yfz. they might be a better shock. but im guessing the ride would toss you around quite a bit.

I didn't know KOR sold bushings for the z400 shock.......thought they only had 400ex shock bushings. Either way, can't go wrong with KOR or upgrading the rear shock. Let us know how you like it. Changing to the 400ex made a major difference for me.

I didn't know KOR sold bushings for the z400 shock.......thought they only had 400ex shock bushings. Either way, can't go wrong with KOR or upgrading the rear shock. Let us know how you like it. Changing to the 400ex made a major difference for me.

the bushing kit will work with either the 400ex, kx400 mabe even others. its not for the shock, its for the frame on the blaster. too bigga hole!

Well my z400 rear shock arrived this morning. Im just waiting on my KOR bushings so I can install it. I dont have any 12mm drill bits so should I redrill the bottom mount hole to 15/32" or to 31/64" ? Slightly smaller and slightly larger respectively than 12mm.

Well my z400 rear shock arrived this morning. Im just waiting on my KOR bushings so I can install it. I dont have any 12mm drill bits so should I redrill the bottom mount hole to 15/32" or to 31/64" ? Slightly smaller and slightly larger respectively than 12mm.

15/32 is the perfect size. That's what I used on mine. The pin went threw but was real snug.

I have yet to mock up yet. I have been at work all day. When I get to the house I was going to install the new shock temporarily. I have yet to receive me KOR bushings for the top. I will do a before and after ride height comparison.

fyi, when i installed mine, like some others ive seen, it raised the back end up a bit. in my case, i didnt want the height so i trimmed the shock and moved the mounting hole. its not a big deal and it wasnt rocket science. but each riders different. see what it looks like when its all mounted w/bushings.

fyi, when i installed mine, like some others ive seen, it raised the back end up a bit. in my case, i didnt want the height so i trimmed the shock and moved the mounting hole. its not a big deal and it wasnt rocket science. but each riders different. see what it looks like when its all mounted w/bushings.

It did mine to but it looks about normal do to the 18's on the back. I know I will have to do some work to it when I put 20's on it do to the shock and my plus 3 swinger having the shock mount in the stock location.

I mocked up the shock last night, my bike doesn't look and different. With the stock shock, from the ground to the bottom of the overhang in the middle of the rear (when you are looking directly from the rear) I measured 30". The z400 shock raised the back about an inch which doesn't bother me one bit. I'm not sure how much, if any it raised under the center of the frame. I bounced on my bike on the front first, then the rear, and without even riding it, I can tell those fronts have to go ASAP. There is about 2.5" of sag when I sit down on it. I set my compression and rebound to the softest setting, and i'll dial it to wherever i'm most comfortable.

I rode my blaster this weekend, all I can saw is WOW I have really been missing out. I have the rebound and copression set at theirs softest. For most of the riding I did it was like riding a Cadillac, I suppose I could stiffen both up a couple clicks and still like the feel. Now with the rear suspension out of the way. YFZ450 shocks and LT+3+1 or regular +3+1 arms and shock relocators here I come.