filing clutch basket

NOVIS

Apr 22, 2009
little hick town in Ontario, Canada
my clutch grabs quite a bit when the lever is pulled in. enough to roll my bike if its in gear. from what i have heard, this is most likely from grooves in the clutch basket. if there not too deep am i able to file them, and would that fix the issue. what the minumum depth of the groove as to where i should scrap it and get a new basket?

thanks boys I:I

Yes I'm not an idiot. Cable is adjusted fine, oil is 10w30 same sh*t I use in all my bikes. Just figured its an old quad, probably never had a new clutch put in or even serviced for that matter and after 20 years I thought it might be a bit worn.

And im just going off another thread I seen sayin something about filing out the grooves

Thats why I headed the post "Silly questions"

I was not aware of your experience.

Minor grooves can be removed by filing the basket, but if the spaces are filed out too wide, it may cause the clutch to jump in hard and make deeper grooves in the basket.

Grooves normally give problems by making the clutch slip, from hindering the plates from coming together.

Clutch drag can also be caused by worn out friction plates, allowing steel on steel.

Oh ok buddy. I thought you were sayin I was asking silly question. Sorry for maybe soundin like a douche there bro. I guess all I can do is giv'er a go eh?

I may need to polish up my bedside manner, it seems to be upsetting certain people.:D

Not talking about you.

Minor grooves can be removed by filing the basket, but if the spaces are filed out too wide, it may cause the clutch to jump in hard and make deeper grooves in the basket.

Grooves normally give problems by making the clutch slip, from hindering the plates from coming together.

Clutch drag can also be caused by worn out friction plates, allowing steel on steel.

Check on you tube, Ken O' had a vid for modding a basket and I believe he talks about filing them. Take your time to file them square, even across and all the same. Use a good smooth file (not coarse)

Be sure the file them true, take the same amount off all the way from the corner to the ends. While you have it apart replacing the friction disks try media blasting the drive disks. A rough angular media does best (I like coal slag or aluminum oxide but sand works too), glass beads aren't that great (they leave dimples like the surface of a golf ball). It's a good fix but opening up the basket will cause it to ware quicker next time around. If you see a good deal on a basket, it might be a good idea to have it on hand.