extending your stock swingarm

fmxr47

Mar 4, 2008
www.myspace.com
hi huys i hope this helps, a few of you asked for a how to when i did my swingarm, its been a while but here it is, hope this helps.

depending on where you cut your stock swingarm depends on where and how you extend it i did mine right infront of the stock shock mount

you wil need some rectangular tubing, you can choose your own size, i opted for tube that fits inside the swingarm so it would be stronger

you will also need a piece f 1"- 1.5" flat steel for extra support on the sides and for making the new shock mounts

and obviously you will need a welder.

ok, here are some pics i took

here is one before paint and off of the bike
0413081422.jpg

this one you can see how i extended the shock mount and added extra support from the side of swingarm to new shock mount
062008_105600.jpg

here you can see the flat steel we layed down the side for extra strength overtop of the extention and part of original swingarm
062008_105700.jpg

here if you loo at the crossmember in the swingarm i welded some flat steel there aswell since that is where it cracks the most
062008_105701.jpg

is the frame and or swingarm steel or aluminum, i thought it was aluminum??

this is good but i wouldn't exactly trust that shock mount. i'd say do the extension between the carrier mounts and the shock mount. but this is good

that shock mount aint going anywhere, it is thick steel, and my dad use to be a welder by profession so i definiley trust it, i welded some of it but his welds are prettier lol

i would love to but i dont own the welder, i had to beg my dad to bring it home for me to use it, but if you have a friend who can weld it only takes like 1 to 2 hours of welding

i would love to but i dont own the welder, i had to beg my dad to bring it home for me to use it, but if you have a friend who can weld it only takes like 1 to 2 hours of welding
how has this setup been holding up for you?

there really isn't any specifics, you just extend whatever length you want and weld it up with th same or closest size rectangular tubing you can find, if you have lot of time on your hands you can cut and weld behind the shock mount and cut out the carrier plates but i didnt so i just made a shock mount!

Nice DIY stuff here, but I HIGHLEY suggest keeping the shock mount in the same position using a jig if anyone is going to try this. Those mounts will bend the way you've got it welded up. May not be today or tomorrow...but its bound to happen with some hard riding....

you cant see it in the pics to well but i have reenforcement running from the inside of the swinger to the mounts and they are 1/8 inch steel, it wont bend! i have already bottomed out the rear end on some bigger jumps from over shooting and its still good

If you were to extend it like 1.5 inches infront of the shock mount, than use like a 400ex shock somthin just a little longer, would that work, or would the angles and everythign make it weak?