Exhaust spitting out oil

jlgray81

Feb 23, 2014
Columbia, Tn
I dont know alot about these quads so bear with me

I was riding today and could notice a difference in the way I was into the throttle...like I was losing power/compression...got off and looked underneath to see oil seaping from what looked like the head...got to the house, cleaned the area and started it up...I found that it wasn't leaking from the head..it was actually the exhaust spitting it back on top of the casing..anyone ever had their exhaust spitting oil back out onto the casing? If so, what was it that was wrong?

I was told from a shop that it was the crankcase seals? does that sound right? He was referring to the casing on the gear shifter side..said there were 2 seals in there and that he thinks they went bad..quoted me $96-$135.

I'm just trying to figure this thing out and save any dollar I can. Any help would be appreciated

Oh and by the way, it is smoking something terrible. White smoke coming from rear exhaust and from where the silencer pipe meets up with the fatty end. I wiped that area where the 2 connect and got oil off. Its seaping there also

White smelly smoke is a sign of bad crank seal. Idk bout oil on your casing tho. There should be a rubber boot with some clamps where your silencer and pipe meet, it should be pretty much air tight, not leaking smoke, there should be no place your exhaust can spit oil except out the end of the silencer.

You can buy a $20 kit, a $12 tool and do those seals yourself.

Then buy/build a leak tester to make sure no other leaks are present

As far as Ive noticed its not smelly. Other than a 2 stroke normal smell...the silencer/pipe connection is not tight whatsoever..right above the kick start lever is where they meet and I can see the loose connection..there is smoke that comes out of there also..I figured it should be air tight from front to back..Im just wondering how in the world is the exhaust up front spitting that oil..maybe if I could fix that then the quad wouldn't smoke so bad

yea sounds like clutch side crank seal.Also your exhaust should not be leaking where the pipe joins at the cylinder.

I have no idea why or how it even started leaking but it is. I watched it as it spit oil out. Its VERY black. I just changed the oil Tuesday. and it has about 20min riding time since that oil change.

Btw, im using the maxima super m @ 32:1

The oil has to come from the tranny.

Which goes through the clutch side (right) crank seal. into the bottom of the crankcase, and out the pipe.

Is your oil pump removed properly?

You are spitting spooge[oil]from up front because of 2 things.
1.you have a leak up front
2.your spooge itself is unburnt fuel/oil mixture,which means rich
fix leaks and jet properly and your problem should be solved

The oil has to come from the tranny.

Which goes through the clutch side (right) crank seal. into the bottom of the crankcase, and out the pipe.

Is your oil pump removed properly?

NOt 100% sure..I just got this about 3 weeks ago...It wasn't smoking or giving me any problem until last week..It started riding funny and was acting boggish..After cleaning carb and no change, I found out it was the parking brake..Unhooked it from under the hood and she was up and running again

was your trans fluid up to the full mark when you changed it ? added 650ml ?
has the fluid level dropped since then ?
thats a good sign it's getting sucked in thru a bad crank seal and getting burnt/spewed out the exhaust, if it isn't leaking anywhere.

So are there 2 crank seals? If so, should I just replace the both of them while Im at it anyway

yes, the stator side is much easier to do than the clutch side, do them both, if needed.
leakdown test to be sure, before and after replacing them

was your trans fluid up to the when you changed it ? added 650ml ?
has the fluid level dropped since then ? thats a sure sign it's getting sucked in thru a bad crank seal and getting burnt/spewed out the exhaust, if it isn't leaking anywhere.

I cant see the window. I believe it was painted over

I cant see the window. I believe it was painted over

paint thinner will cure that, use a wrag wrapped aroung a big flat head screwdriver to reach under there and clean the sight window

I don't even know where the window is located exactly. I looked over the whole casing and didn't see a window though. Which is why I assumed it was painted over.

Is the Flywheel puller, and the clutch holding tool necessary to get those seals out/in?

tbrooks, I went out and started it up to check that smell just to be sure I told you the truth about it...after idling a few minutes I noticed it has a burn/gas smell...so maybe it isn't just a 2 stroke gas smell as I said