exhaust packing

lowkhalbalr

Jun 5, 2010
SRQ
the fiberglass in my slip on is like gone:/ i was gonna use steel wool and thought, what would happen if i left it empty? besides the fact thats its gonna be much louder.

supposedly performs better with packing, and i've heard to never use steel wool, as it rusts and breaks up, pieces can be sucked back into the motor during the pipe scavenging

Reactions: bellaemma
if you wanna pack it with wool, use stainless steel wool. wont rust and last a bit longer then other fine fibers.

If you look around, there is a maker that has a packing that is in a kevlar boot of sorts. I cant remember the name, but it's an insert, not just loose fiber packing.

Reactions: bellaemma
Ive been using steel wool and haven't had any problems yet, most of it has enough unburned oil on it that I think it will plug up before it rusts out, at least on my blasty

I usually use FMF packing in all my exhausts, but I Just recently packed one of my 450r's exhaust with steel wool, and so far it's working out well....

but I would go with what ken ^^^ posted

Ya the fmf packing is great I got a bag of it for like 20$buck enough to pack it like 3 or 4 times I perfer packin myself gives a bit more backpressure!

the fiberglass house insulation? no where near as long as exhaust packing. i know i bought some exhaust packing, i wonder if i still have it.

old thread but hey, i repacked my turbinecore2 with steel wool a few weeks ago and i havent given it a good WOT yet til today. heres what happened. idk if some packing got sucked back in the motor but when i had it at WOT there was a few hiccups. NEVER happened before. then whe ni slowed down the idle was higher than usual then there was ALOT of smoke from the tail and smell of something burning. so i so i killed the motor and the silencer was just smoking! the damn steel wool caught on fire! lol i blew in the pipe and i could hear the fire crackling. lol. SO. STEEL WOOL IS A NO GO! for me atleast. mind u guys this was the 1ST TIME i had it @ WOT since i repacked it

old thread but hey, i repacked my turbinecore2 with steel wool a few weeks ago and i havent given it a good WOT yet til today. heres what happened. idk if some packing got sucked back in the motor but when i had it at WOT there was a few hiccups. NEVER happened before. then whe ni slowed down the idle was higher than usual then there was ALOT of smoke from the tail and smell of something burning. so i so i killed the motor and the silencer was just smoking! the damn steel wool caught on fire! lol i blew in the pipe and i could hear the fire crackling. lol. SO. STEEL WOOL IS A NO GO! for me atleast. mind u guys this was the 1ST TIME i had it @ WOT since i repacked it

Id do a leakdown, kinda sounds like a seal issue also

no this JUST happened while i was riding. it never did that. then after the packing cooled i started it back up and it was fine no smoke. the packing was definitely on fire. lol bc like i said when i blew in the pipe i heard the crackling. im gonna have to repack it with 3 wool or w/e it was. tryna save $ from buying the FMF fiberglass hehe

no this JUST happened while i was riding. it never did that. then after the packing cooled i started it back up and it was fine no smoke. the packing was definitely on fire. lol bc like i said when i blew in the pipe i heard the crackling. im gonna have to repack it with 3 wool or w/e it was. tryna save $ from buying the FMF fiberglass hehe

you probably used cheap low quality steel wool so thats what you get... stainless and course wool works best... fine chit goes into flames