Engine side cover gasket

dharbeck

Dec 13, 2007
NE
Anybody ever use RTV instead of a gasket on the right side engine cover? I am tried of buying paper gaskets. anybody have luck using just RTV?

A dealership near me used RTV on my brothers CRF250 instead of a gasket like they said they would and it pissed oil when he started it up. I'm sure if you do it right it could work, but it didn't work on my brothers 4-stroke.

ive used yamabond 4 on it. works great, just have to clean it up the next time you pull it apart no biggie...

Yeah I think I am going to use "the right stuff" gasket maker it looks like good stuff.

yeah it is good stuff i use it on alot of stuff my nitro rc motors and so on lol .. just when u use it just make sure u let it set up /dry properly and all that ..

Well, you could use that stuff. However Ive got too much into my motor I wouldnt want excess coming off and getting into the oil once its dried. Just my .02

your 2 case halves dont have a gasket between them, it is sealed with RTV, and on mine, i took the base gasket out and used RTV to seal it. dropped the jug about 15 thou to raise compression a little. isn't leakin yet

your 2 case halves dont have a gasket between them, it is sealed with RTV, and on mine, i took the base gasket out and used RTV to seal it. dropped the jug about 15 thou to raise compression a little. isn't leakin yet

ooo. Good point Hickskateboarder. I guess I wouldnt be too worried about using that stuff then. I:I just dont put too much on.

yeah that sh*t aint gonna hurt nothing in your motor, as for dropping the base gasket and just using yamabond ( or something similar ) i tried that too cuz i blew my base gasket but found out that there wasn't enough clearance for the piston & head without the paper gasket.... HOLY sh*t!!