Engine runs but cant really throttle up at all

nolyad

Jan 18, 2014
I have been starting up my 03 blaster about 1 time per week through the winter and running it for a few minutes or up and down the road and everything runs perfectly starts first kick every time no issues. finally i went to actually go ride this weekend for the first time this season and it started up but as soon as i hit the throttle it just bogs down and i cant get any juice out of it, it will then idle for around 30 secs and then stalls. I dont understand what could have changed from when i shut it off last week and nothing was wrong, to starting it this week and it is not rideable. I put new gas in and removed the ignition switch but other than that nothing has changed at all.. any thoughts on what the issue might be? TORS is already removed. Any thoughts or feedback is appreciated thanks in advance!

you removed ignition why? clean your carb it is def gunked up from sitting to much.
02 blaster carb.gif

which ever switch you removed, the wires must be kept seperated,
any black connected to black/white stripe kills the ignition.

have you checked the reeds ?
tried a new plug ?
fuel petcock is turned on ? (had to ask)

i removed the ignition because i forgot the key at home and i was like an hour away so i just unplugged the two wires but i assume that has nothing to do with how the bike runs.. am i wrong? and ill clean the carb but i just cleaned it within the last 2 hours of riding and like i said ive been running it frequently so that things dont gunk up.. if that really seems like all it is ill clean it again gladly! just seems strange since it has not really been sitting

haha yea fuel was on :) My untrained mind told me it wouldnt be the spark plug since it is running but that could very well be the problem ill put a new one in.. and i dont know how to check the reeds.. i know what they are but what am i looking for when i check them?

you should start at the carb then work your way around...make sure your not just spraying carb cleaner on the jets ,you have to take them out and soak them,reed should have no crack,and be closing fully all the way

Reactions: nolyad
haha yea fuel was on :) My untrained mind told me it wouldnt be the spark plug since it is running but that could very well be the problem ill put a new one in.. and i dont know how to check the reeds.. i know what they are but what am i checking for?

pull the carb and from the back look in with a flashlight, all 4 reed petals should be visible and closed completely.
the 4 bolts on the intake removes it and the reed cage if they need further inspection or replacing.
use a new gasket and a light coat of hi-temp copper RTV or yamabond on both sides of the gasket, allow to cure overnight, then a leakdown test to insure they've resealed

its very interesting you mention that parking brake.. i never touched that stupid switch before because i feel like ive heard it causes problems.. and before we started the bike up my wife was sitting on the bike messing around with it asking me what it is and just sort of fooling around with it, which would have been something i never do.. could that be affecting something? it isnt engaged at the moment but i wonder if something is sticking.. would that cause a problem like this?

just unplug the wire were it connects.it has to be pushed in the, little metal plug of it it looks like something you plug into your cigarette lighter,,,,but yeah unplug it you need to take the plastic nose off to get to it

i just unplugged the parking brake wire and it instantly stopped the bogging when i throttled up!!! Thanks for the tip! now it isnt idling for some reason, which is something that has never been a problem before.. i did wash my filter earlier today and so it probably isnt completely dry, maybe thats the issue? but wow im just glad to know that the parking brake was the main problem! saved me a lot of time and work so thank you!

When you cleaned the carb, could you have upset the float height.

Often after cleaning an air filter the idle has to be reset.

You said it may not be dry, what did you wash it with and have you re oiled it?

washed it with dish soap and water, let it dry and oiled it.. just like you said, i just needed to re adjust the idle a bit and wa-la! shes back to normal.. thanks again everyone, once again you people save the day and i get to go on riding!!

i just unplugged the parking brake wire and it instantly stopped the bogging when i throttled up!!! Thanks for the tip! now it isnt idling for some reason, which is something that has never been a problem before.. i did wash my filter earlier today and so it probably isnt completely dry, maybe thats the issue? but wow im just glad to know that the parking brake was the main problem! saved me a lot of time and work so thank you!

Glad it was easy problem!!

What's funny is my son's GF started her Warrior yesterday and I kind of thought I heard it popping. Sure enough it was. The P-brake switch didn't return comepletly.