Engine rev help

BUILD a leakdown tester

there is no way to do it without one. there's actually a great DIY in the Do it yourself section on how to build it, and then how to use it

ok....took apart my reed system to check..haven't had time to do the leakdown or build one.... anyways took it apart... gasket that goes between block and cage was completly dry and rotted, and there wasn't a gasket between the boot and cage... is there supposed to be? also checked to see if my head nuts were tight... front 2 were tight.... back 2 were loose...so i tightened them... hopefully when i put this back together with gaskets in combo with tightening the rear head nuts this fixes my rev problem... if not... i guess i'm stuck doing the leak down... some pics of the reed cage
100_9459.jpg

100_9461.jpg

100_9460.jpg

100_9463.jpg

100_9462.jpg

any thoughts?

nice! you have a rad valve in it

and the intake boot is supposed to seal up against the reed cage on its own, however i run a gasket in there because the seal (you can see it around the opening on the reed side) is dried up and collapsed.

a leakdown test would've told you if it was leaking around the reed cage or not, or the head, or both

yeah...but as said...didnt have time to build one or do the test in itself... this was a 5 minute job.... in your opinion..... do you yhink with what ive shown and told you ( reed cage + loose head nuts) that it was the likely leek? if it doesnt run right when i put it back together i will do the test.... and i was hoppin that that was a rad... wasnt for sure....first time blastoid owner

could be. building a leakdown and doing the test doesn't take too long nor is it too expensive. something that you'll want to put together and put in your toolbox

understandable... and i plan too...just no time today... i was doing this and then all of a sudden had to take one kid to the hospital and one kid was super sick as well.... nasty stomach thing goin around here....

anyways.... planned on making one .... just hoping this is a quick fix so that i don't have to suffer as mentioned with the 4x4 honda beast....

this blaster has been fun.. i love workin on things and the hick i got it from has certainly helped me fulfill my desired to build things up! still think it's worth $400...wonder what's on the inside of the motor... i'd sh*t if it had the +4hotrods stroker :)

id do the leak down test b4 you even start it again an air leak can fry your top end like nothing i say do NOT start it until it can pass a leak down test

i'd rather ride the honda if i wasn't 100 percent that my blaster was completely sealed up and ready to go. otherwise you'll be riding the honda a while

thanks for all the help guys..... one last question... if the over revvin stops....then do you think i fixed it... i understand i need to do the leakdown... but... if this fixes my problem....then problem fixed.... right?

well the out of control rev has stopped......

it has a hanging rev every now and then... is this normal? goose the throttle and it stays high reved for a few seconds then comes back down.... any help be nice...

nope, the motor should go back down to idle without hanging, that indicates a lean condition.....your air leak may not be totally gone

yes, holeshotman does, its about 35 bucks and its stickied in the for sale section.

you can try resetting the airscrew first to see if that does anything for you, all the way in till it seats (lightly) and then back out 1.5 turns