Engine rebuild or something else?

Swiftk

Apr 26, 2019
Hi guys - A couple weeks ago I bought my kids a 1996 Blaster to run chores around our farm. We tested it out, bought new rear tires and sent my son out. About 30 minutes later he comes walking back and says, “it is making a weird noice and it stopped”. I grabbed the tractor and towed him back to the barn and then noticed that one of the bolts on the lower end was missing, another one was about to fall out and oil was leaking everywhere. I replaced the missing bolts, this time I added lock washers and did an oil change. The oil change was an adventure in and of itself with a completely rounded off drain plug, but I digress. New oil and it starts right back up on the second kick, but there is a clicking sound and feels like it is coming from the top end. It previously idled great, but now dies if I completely let off the throttle.

I don’t know how much oil was lost, but when I did the oil change it was dirty, but I’ve seen worse and there wasn’t any noticeable metal in the pan. I haven’t taken the top-end off yet, instead I wanted hear your thoughts!

Thanks

First thing BEFORE disassembly, wash it good.
Pull exhaust and carb/Reed valves and inspect piston and cylinder.
Look for deep scratches and such. Let us know.

Use this : https://www.blasterforum.com/thread...ervice-and-owner-manuals-free-download.17325/
Or get Clymer's Repair Manual

I got out to the garage today and pulled the top-end off and the cylinder looks pretty good, but the piston does have some pretty deep gauges and the cylinder head does have a lot of carbon buildup on it. Here are some quick picks before I remove the piston and order a rebuild kit, think this might be what is causing my son’s issues? He is beside himself...he is having to clean stalls with a wheelbarrow!

Thanks again for your help!

Attachments

• D5B6483C-4F53-41DA-B58B-EE2E665A3A50.jpeg
    D5B6483C-4F53-41DA-B58B-EE2E665A3A50.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 165
  • 2066C59B-96D1-4DCF-8D4D-F693AC951F14.jpeg
    2066C59B-96D1-4DCF-8D4D-F693AC951F14.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 201
Hi guys - A couple weeks ago I bought my kids a 1996 Blaster to run chores around our farm. We tested it out, bought new rear tires and sent my son out. About 30 minutes later he comes walking back and says, “it is making a weird noice and it stopped”. I grabbed the tractor and towed him back to the barn and then noticed that one of the bolts on the lower end was missing, another one was about to fall out and oil was leaking everywhere. I replaced the missing bolts, this time I added lock washers and did an oil change. The oil change was an adventure in and of itself with a completely rounded off drain plug, but I digress. New oil and it starts right back up on the second kick, but there is a clicking sound and feels like it is coming from the top end. It previously idled great, but now dies if I completely let off the throttle.

I don’t know how much oil was lost, but when I did the oil change it was dirty, but I’ve seen worse and there wasn’t any noticeable metal in the pan. I haven’t taken the top-end off yet, instead I wanted hear your thoughts!

Thanks

My son and I just finishing rebuilding the top-end and it started right up on the 2nd kick, and has great compression. Unfortunately, the rattling noise is still occurring, so where to next? I am thinking of pulling the drain plug and then taking off the crankcase and ignition case covers and see if there is something rattling around in there.

Thanks!

If you didn't go with a new bore, you could be hearing piston slap from a worn out hole.
Did you check side play and up/down play on rod?
Might not learn much by taking the covers off. If you do, seriously consider replacing the crank seals. Consider how old they could be.
If/when they start leaking, especially the left one, catastrophic failure can happen quickly.