engine problems

Feb 6, 2011
i have a 97 blaster with fmf exhaust. it hasnt been rebuilt since new and it sat for 6 years. it runs and drives but while sitting at idle then you hit the throttle it bogs out and dies not sure what it could be any help thanks.

when you clean it, make sure you record what jets are in it and needle and clip position. also make sure when you put it back that you check the float level and they are within spec.

while you have the carb off, check the reeds to make sure they are good.

i have a 97 blaster with fmf exhaust. it hasnt been rebuilt since new and it sat for 6 years. it runs and drives but while sitting at idle then you hit the throttle it bogs out and dies not sure what it could be any help thanks.

Sounds like the carb as well. Pull the carb out of the snorkel and intake manifold....not too difficult once you get the hang off it. Unscrew the top cap on the carb and it up....the slide along with the needle assembly will come out. and the rest of the carb will detach. Take the 4 screws out of the bottom of the carb. Pull the white plastic piece out in the center. The bronze center hex piece is the main jet. It unscrews counterclockwise(lefty loosey...just like normal). You will see a slight tube to the side of the main jet location. If you look down you will see the pilot jet and it requires a tiny flathead screwdriver to unscrew it out and then it will fall out. Get a small bucket and either let the carb soak in warm soapy water or Berryman's B12 from your local auto shop. Personally, I let it soak in Berryman's B12 and take a toothbrush and get all the dirt off....then spray compressed air from a can through the tiny holes on the jets to clear them. If you hold them up to light, you should be able to see a circle of light through them....barely. :D After I am done with Berryman's I let them soak in warm soapy water before rinsing them out. Since the slide/cap/needle are detached from the carb, it doesn't hurt to clean the slide on the carb so it slides freely. If it's really dirty just put a cup by the side of the quad and clean the cap threads, needle, and slide...you typically don't need to take it apart unless it's really gummy. Reverse all the steps....don't forget the white plastic piece that you took out around the main jet and place it back where it goes. Start it up with fresh gas and see how it runs. If it has been sitting for 6 years, I would just as a precaution either check the oil injection unit to make sure it's not clogged with old oil or pre mix the gas at like 50:1 just to play it safe to make sure the oil injection unit hasn't been blocked.

If it hasn't rolled or ran in 6 years, ideally the best thing really would to just take the top end apart(and mod it while your at it), clean it, and make sure everything is all right. A lot of old oil will turn to real cruddy material and sit in the bottom of the crankcase if it sits for such long periods of time without running.

Sounds like the carb as well. Pull the carb out of the snorkel and intake manifold....not too difficult once you get the hang off it. Unscrew the top cap on the carb and it up....the slide along with the needle assembly will come out. and the rest of the carb will detach. Take the 4 screws out of the bottom of the carb. Pull the white plastic piece out in the center. The bronze center hex piece is the main jet. It unscrews counterclockwise(lefty loosey...just like normal). You will see a slight tube to the side of the main jet location. If you look down you will see the pilot jet and it requires a tiny flathead screwdriver to unscrew it out and then it will fall out. Get a small bucket and either let the carb soak in warm soapy water or Berryman's B12 from your local auto shop. Personally, I let it soak in Berryman's B12 and take a toothbrush and get all the dirt off....then spray compressed air from a can through the tiny holes on the jets to clear them. If you hold them up to light, you should be able to see a circle of light through them....barely. :D After I am done with Berryman's I let them soak in warm soapy water before rinsing them out. Since the slide/cap/needle are detached from the carb, it doesn't hurt to clean the slide on the carb so it slides freely. If it's really dirty just put a cup by the side of the quad and clean the cap threads, needle, and slide...you typically don't need to take it apart unless it's really gummy. Reverse all the steps....don't forget the white plastic piece that you took out around the main jet and place it back where it goes. Start it up with fresh gas and see how it runs. If it has been sitting for 6 years, I would just as a precaution either check the oil injection unit to make sure it's not clogged with old oil or pre mix the gas at like 50:1 just to play it safe to make sure the oil injection unit hasn't been blocked.

If it hasn't rolled or ran in 6 years, ideally the best thing really would to just take the top end apart(and mod it while your at it), clean it, and make sure everything is all right. A lot of old oil will turn to real cruddy material and sit in the bottom of the crankcase if it sits for such long periods of time without running.

i would do all that and while your at it take off the oil injector and premix at 32:1 i wouldnt go higher or lower than that and check the compression and do a leakdown test