Engine Paint?

kf7lcw

Feb 2, 2012
Oregon
Well I have the engine out of the bike for a new top end I was thinking about painting it, doing something a little different.

What paint does everybody recommend, a high heat engine paint?

yes, any high heat engine paint will work, also a nice 2k (epoxy) automotive paint that you mix with harderner will work too, but whatever you do, do not put it on thick...this rather insulated the metal which restricts cooling, try keep it thin

when ever i paint a block/head/valvecover, i always use a ceramic based paint. its crazy strong/chip resistant and doesnt hold heat if the coating is thin.
to the same effect multiple coats/heavily coating can keep heat in, i use heavy coats on headers, turbo housings, wastegate bases/flanges. and also charge lines/intakes to keep heat out.

Years ago I did a set of T-500 heads/jugs with wrinkle paint. Looked sweeeet azz. Theroy behind it was it increases surface area to aid cooling. Two drawbacks are it might be little tougher to keep clean, and you have to bake it to get the krinkles to form.

Picked up some paint today. Just regular old engine paint nothing too special. Took forever deciding on a color, couldn't match the blue plastics, couldn't match the silver frame. So just went with good ole gloss black. Planning to scotch brite the motor and put a light-ish coat on. It advertises good heat dispersion.

I will post pictures when done, though it will probably be a while since I am splitting case and cleaning out piston fragments, then putting on a new top end.