engine bearings

regal81455

Dec 26, 2007
Im doing a COMPLETE REBUILD of the entire motor and would like to know a few things...

If the other bearings besides the crank bearings (which will be replaced with the new crank) are good, can you repack them? If so, what kind of grease would you use? Ive got some lithium bearing grease that will not drop out till 500*, is this ok to use? If you cannot repack them, where would I start looking to get the right replacements?

Im doing a COMPLETE REBUILD of the entire motor and would like to know a few things...

If the other bearings besides the crank bearings (which will be replaced with the new crank) are good, can you repack them? If so, what kind of grease would you use? Ive got some lithium bearing grease that will not drop out till 500*, is this ok to use? If you cannot repack them, where would I start looking to get the right replacements?
do not repack them , the cost of those bearing is relatively cheap,since you got the engine appart, do the job correctely once,so thats way you wont regret it!! as for where to buy those bearing go to your dealer or a trusty bearing shop ,bring them your old bearing and with the number on it they will find the correct replacement I:I

so if they move freely and i don't want to spend more money, they need to soak in 2stroke oil, correct? thanks guys i will look into the cost of new but i really think its a bit unnecessary...

The crank and wrist pin bearings are the only ones that get lubed with the oil/gas mixture. All the other engine bearings are in the tranny oil.

Ah yes, thanks for catching my snafu, so they need to soak in something like bel ray gear saver with the exception of the crank & wrist pin bearings which will get the 2stroke oil bath. Do you usually use some form of assembly lube too? Or just soak'em?

i wouldnt put that motor back together without all new bearings and seals in it, and risk having to do it again for sumthin you cheaped out on, i used factory yamaha bearings and seals, i think those 2 were around $60, but i'm sure you can find cheaper