electronics question, led strip lights

ilm121209

Jan 28, 2014
phila pa
Finally getting back to my projects after a rotator cuff injury. Looking to make my own led aquarium lights out of 5 meter strips of 5050smd 300 led lights. 3 spools of white and 1.5 spools of blue. So roughly 23 amps of power at 12 volts, off of a single power supply.

There is the question. Will a 30a power supply be enough? Or will constantly drawing near full power burn it up or cause voltage drop? They will run about 12 hours a day while I'm at work, longer if I'm trying to encourage algae growth, so it has too be safe. Also, most of the power supplies have 3 separate power outputs, i need a single outlet. Is it safe to connect the 3 outputs into one?

Basically the power supply will be in a closet, well ventilated. the wiring to the 8 tanks is on the wall already. So it has to be a single power output, and enough power from one power supply to run all the lights.

Thanks in advance!

The link didn't load. I've been looking around online and i think as long as i run them in parallel and leave a 25% headroom of extra power i should be okay

Thanks