Electrical Smart-Guy?

r2palmer

Jun 4, 2008
System won't let me post in the "Ask A Pro" section so I'll try it here.

Hoping an electrical smart guy can answer to make sense of some things.

My Blasters each seem to have FIVE different coils:

Mounted on the Stator: Lighting, Charging, Pickup/Pulser

In the Ignition Coil: Primary, Secondary

I also see references in some posts and internet sites to a "Source" coil.

The only one that makes sense to me is the "Lighting" coil: it makes the electricity to poser the headlight, tail light, and probably the oil injector's red low-tank-level warning light.

It also makes sense that there needs to be a coil that makes the electricity for the spark plug. That's gotta be either the "Pickup/Pulser" coil, or the 'Charging" coil on the stator 9which one I have no idea).

Why THREE coils on the stator? Is "Source" coil the same as "Charging" coil on the stator? What does the "Pickup" coil do and why do they also call it a Pulser coil? What does the "Charging" coil do if the machine has no battery to charge? Does it maybe provide a constant power (a charge) to the ignition coil, but the pulser then pushes that charge out at just the right time or something? Makes sense that something would need to tell the coil when to discharge, based on the position of the crankcase.

Does one single coil power all the "little black boxes" on the machine; or do they get their power from more than one coil?

Also: all those little black (and silver) electrical boxes (CDI, voltage regulator, etc.).... are they interchangable between model years? If not, how do I identify which ones came from which model yeargroup? I have a "box of Blaster parts" and would like to make sure I can tell which CDI, for example, will work with which ignition coil/stator/voltage regulator combination.

Thanks.

The lighting coil is self explanitory. It's what produces the voltage for the lights. It produces anywhere from 8VAC - 34VAC (depending on engine speed) but anything above 14VAC is grounded directly to the frame by the voltage regulator.

The source coil or "charging" coil is what charges the primary loop of the ignition coil with the electricity it needs to transform into high voltage.

The ignition coil has two "coils" inside of it but you can't really see them. They are voltage loops. An ignition coil work by transforming low voltage high current electricity into high voltage low current electricity (12VAC 2 amps incoming 15,000VAC .0016 amps out going for example) in the primary loop and then the secondary loop triggers the release of that electricity into the spark plug.

The trigger coil is what tell the CDI box when to fire the secondary loop inside the ignition coil.

Reactions: slickerthanyou
The lighting coil is self explanitory. It's what produces the voltage for the lights. It produces anywhere from 8VAC - 34VAC (depending on engine speed) but anything above 14VAC is grounded directly to the frame by the voltage regulator.

The source coil or "charging" coil is what charges the primary loop of the ignition coil with the electricity it needs to transform into high voltage.

The ignition coil has two "coils" inside of it but you can't really see them. They are voltage loops. An ignition coil work by transforming low voltage high current electricity into high voltage low current electricity (12VAC 2 amps incoming 15,000VAC .0016 amps out going for example) in the primary loop and then the secondary loop triggers the release of that electricity into the spark plug.

The trigger coil is what tell the CDI box when to fire the secondary loop inside the ignition coil.

MR know-it-all!!! Perfect explanation brutha! greenage (no i didn't know all of that)

Thanks civicdude.

re: the little black/silver boxes (CDI, voltage regulator, whatever else).... are they interchangable between model years? If not, how do I identify which one goes for which model year? Is there a part number reference sheet that will let me look up the number stamped on the part (I'm looking at one right now, for example: "3GG-00 1 X N" and tell me which model years it will and won't work on?