Dont laugh

Buffalowinger

Mar 12, 2012
Southern illinois
I'm new to 2 strokes. I bought my blaster for $500 because I h heard they are fast and cheap and easy to fix. Assuming I get this things running, which is looking likely with a new set of reeds. How do you ride a blaster, or 2 stroke in genera? I hear it's different than a 4 stroke, and all I've ever ridden are utility atvs and motorcycles. What ate some tips to save to end life, spark plus, etc. how does the powerband work, so I can prepare and not be thrown off the back.any riding tips would be appreciated.

Most two strokes are higher strung motors as in they prefer higher rpms. Compared to 4 strokes which are better for lugging around.

IMO it takes a bit more skill to ride a two stroke effectively in slow trails/mud.

I'm new to 2 strokes. I bought my blaster for $500 because I h heard they are fast and cheap and easy to fix. Assuming I get this things running, which is looking likely with a new set of reeds. How do you ride a blaster, or 2 stroke in genera? I hear it's different than a 4 stroke, and all I've ever ridden are utility atvs and motorcycles. What ate some tips to save to end life, spark plus, etc. how does the powerband work, so I can prepare and not be thrown off the back.any riding tips would be appreciated.

Just to dispell a few myths, all engines have "power bands" (referring to the engine rpm that makes the most power) it's just that with a 2 stroke engine (and specifically a highly tuned 2 stroke) it's more pronounced. More "light switch" and less "gradual rise". A bone stock blaster isn't a highly tuned 2 stroke and the powerband is much less "light switch" than say a newer model 125cc dirtbike...

The biggest thing with blaster engine life is regular maintenace. More engines have been taken out from gummed up carburetors and dirty/low transmission fluid than anything else. Nearly all of the horror stories you can read about can be traced back to poor owner maintance. Exclude the maintenance caused stories and you're left with relatively few major problems. Occasionally a bum piston, sometimes cranks that fly apart, sometimes engine seals that go bad.... but really, no more than any other make or design of engine!

There are a few things that are absolutely crucial to engine life. Either it has a fully functioning and full oil injection system (tank under the left rear fender) or you HAVE to premix gasoline. Premixing isn't rocket science, most oil manufacturers recommend ~32:1 which is 8 ounces of oil to 2 gallons of gasoline. If you have the oil injection system still installed, make sure you purchase injectable 2 stroke engine oil and keep the system clean. You need to wash/wipe dirt away from the filler neck of the oil tank before refilling and prime the system anytime any maintenance work on the engine is performed.

Any time you change the incoming or outgoing air, that change in air ABSOLUTELY must be metered with fuel. Pipes, removing the airbox lid, changing air filters.... all require at least a jetting check. "plug chops" are a way to check jetting. They involve running the engine ONLY on the mainjet circuit and then shutting off the engine and looking at the spark plug.

Buy an air leakdown tester, they're cheap and will save you engines! ~30% of the cooling capacity of the blaster engine is provided by the incoming fuel vaporizing. If you have a leak letting air inside the engine without accompanying fuel, you're running the engine lean. Leaks can be in a lot of places but the most common are reed cage gaskets and crank seals.

Keep your chain properly adjusted. More cases get taken out by chain's jumping off sprockets and smacking cases than just about anything else.... Simple and easy to do.... replace the chain when it's worn out and keep it adjusted and lubed while it's on there.

Read up or blow up ! Do your reading so you know about jetting, leak down testing. There the two most important this to know. I think after riding the Blaster, you will be asking yourself why you didn't get one sooner. Watch out for the mod bug !

When it comes to riding 2 strokes, it is mainly understanding where the power comes on, and at what engine speed.

If you give it the gas when the engine is at a rev below where the powerband comes on, acceleration will be tame.

When the engine reaches the speed to where the power band is set, the power will increase dramatically.

As with all bikes, its all a matter of suck it and see what happens.

Good luck, and enjoy.

Another thing about riding a blaster is that sometimes you have to have some thick skin for when the noobs on the 450's (that their daddy bought) give you a hard time.

Another thing about riding a blaster is that sometimes you have to have some thick skin for when the noobs on the 450's (that their daddy bought) give you a hard time.

haha, true dat!

just tell 'em to f*ck off. no need for thick skin then, lol

Or a little money to be able to put some pre mix in the tank, give it a thumbfull, and leave a little wisp of blue smoke for them to follow.I:II:I