Don't be hating...a polaris....LOL!

race-a-holic

Aug 17, 2009
Arkansas
I have had a '98 Polaris Sport 400 2-stroke out in my shop for quite some time now.
I was going to get a blaster but since I already have this quad,I'm going to build it.
I've been away from the quads for at least 2 years.
I'm going to ease back into them.
I have a cylinder that has a drag port,cool head with a 14.1 dome,larger carb,etc...I'm not ready for a 70+ hp. quad.Not yet anyways.

I'm going back with a stock cylinder with a wiseco piston,stock pipe,aftermarket silencer,stock carb,v-force reeds,and more.

I have already shaved some weight off it.Removed the floorboards,made new smaller aluminum floorboards,made a rear strut(the stock shock weighed 10 lbs!!!),removed the steel chainguard that goes on the axle,shaved some weight off the front hubs,removed the front brakes to take off weight and reduce drag,and also going with aluminum rims to replace the steel ones.

I'm not a big trail rider.I do like to ride a little and just hang out with friends.
I'm a drag racer for sure.
Just when someone comes up and starts mouthing....what am I to do?
If they beat me....I have a new goal......LOL!!!!!!!

Here is picture but there has been progress since then.
Here,I have shaved the front and rear fenders which took off alot of plastic,removed the floorboards.

I have since added heel guards to the custom floorboards to protect me from the rear tires,added front aluminum rims,rear strut,etc....More to come.
18.jpg

From when they were first introduced,thay had actually changed the name several times.They had been called sport,scrambler,and trailblazer.
Usually the companies just change colors for mild changes,but Polaris couldn't make up their mind what they wanted to call it I guess.

The original sport had more of the square style plastic then they changed up the plastic to where it was more sporty.
They were also prone to piston failure.
That's one reason I'm going with a Wiseco.
It should run decent.
I also have some pro-wedge 2's to try on it.

i have heard those other names but not sport...

Yeah,when they were first introduced the plastic looked nothing like mine.
They later changed the plastic and soon after was when the name changing started.
One thing I'm working on is lightening it up.
These quads are tanks.They make decent power but pulling this much weight hinders them.
I have friends that have built chrome-moly frames for them,spraying nitrous,burning alcohol......yeah,they are an extreme bunch.LOL!!!

i got a scram 400 for the girlfriend so it's easier for her to drive. one down fall is there water pump placement it's mounted on the counter balance shaft and when the seal goes it messes up counter balance/bearings . counter balance you can not get the bearing off and you have to buy new which runs $350 not counting other bearings and seals when you redo it. comes to about a $500 bill if you don't catch it right away. so if you own one or going to buy one always check the tranny oil stick to see if there is white slug. if there is don't buy it or replace asap as soon as you see it. The $ 500 is if you do it your self not sure what a shop gets to do it.

Im sorry but i absolutely hate those quads. Im not starting anything, but man o man, ew lol
Good luck with it anyway.
No offense taken.Everyone has their preferences.

They have a ton of potential especially when get the weight under a ton.
I'll have this one out racing sooner or later.
I want to see what it will do on a 300ft dirt drags.
Can't wait to see how it compares to other quads.

No offense taken.Everyone has their preferences.

They have a ton of potential especially when get the weight under a ton.
I'll have this one out racing sooner or later.
I want to see what it will do on a 300ft dirt drags.
Can't wait to see how it compares to other quads.

prolly would do good in drag cause of the awd and the auto IF you get it clutched and a performance belt.
and of course the weight haha

There was a company that made all kinds of hop up stuff for the Polaris sport quads. I'be seen quite a few Polaris' eat a fair share of yamahas.

I THINK it was Ron Woods Racing who made them.

Ron Woods makes some amazing parts for Bombardier/can-am.

Some companies that make good parts for polaris is HPD,RCR,AAEN,and Hotseat.
They have some of these 400's generating up toward 80+ hp.
Throw in the fact you can't mis a shift....LOL!!!!!
RCR even makes a 5 mm stroker kit now.

i always liked the scrambler 500 4x4. you get the best of both worlds outta that machine. it will hold its own in the sport quad world and if you feel like doing some muddin, throw it in 4wd and your good to go!