Don’t know year and wtf is this noise please?

Nov 25, 2017
New Jersey
Ok so i got this Blaster which I believe is in the early 2000 model I’m going 00-05, on a trade for a buddy of mine kid. Didn’t like a quad knew I need one to build my jumps ( shovel carrier) out in the glorious lands of dirty ass NJ. So I meet up with him in lot we rip the bikes around I grew up on 2 strokes and the RM was the last of my childhood, so walking into this was like ok I have my 3 other bikes I and my friends and brother have figured out let’s get at it we’ll i have a video of the quad. What is that noise? Is it the fly wheel is it the rod bearings or a freaking seal? I been reading the top ends of beaten on bad make this noise and well my friends not the nicest person to his new truck never mind how long he’s had this. I’m the 4th owner as I was told from him and I’m not afraid to toss some cash around just not the amount of brand new, lol i want a project not anything crazy. While we’re on the topic I did take carb off supposedly rebuilt idk what brand but they look new and clean I saw new reeds inside Boyesen would the vforce I have On my dirtbikes do same to this? Also exhaust is f*cking shot on the quad. Stock and hanging by zip ties haven’t really broke down full exhaust but I did hear that if the front is f*cked up a noise is heard. Also what exhaust should I buy it’s gonna be mostly for my sister she wanted a quad and I got one I’ll fix it but want a exhaust and mods that when I go from my CR250 fully worked or my RMZ450 I am not like yayyyyyyyy this sh*t just sounds cool. It’s not slow right now but I need that little bit of holy sh*t in my rides. So ima load the video any help is awesome and remember #nosafeshredding

If you have mechanical cable operated brakes then it is an 88-02 year blaster. If it is a hydraulic brake system then it would be an 03-06. Yamaha has a vin search which will tell you and exact year. As long as you know what genre of years it falls in then there is no change in parts. All were the same except for colors throughout the years 88-02. 03-06 had a few changes but mainly brakes, plastics, stator. Hard to tell what that noise is. Could be piston slap, crank noise, flywheel rattle, clucth basket/hub/pressure plate rattle, etc. I would also take off the exhaust header pipe and shake it around. If you hear something rattling inside then that could be your problem. The stock exhausts have a baffle built in and are known to come loose and eventually cause running issues. Cut it open, rip it out, reweld and back to normal. Once you know what the issues are then you can decide how much money you want to put into it. Then decide if you want power or handling and we can better recommend and exhaust, engine mods, shocks, a-arms etc. You ned to find out where the noise is and that will tell you where and what you need to start on. Also a stethoscope or a piece of pipe will help you diagnose where it is coming from. Hold the pipe against your ear and place it in different spots around the engine and see if you can narrow down the location of the noise.

curse words are non other then a word that is cursed:D
a little confused on your post but.......
yes tenth digit on frame by foot shifter is year of frame at least
brakes and 4 or 5 wire stators tors units=throttle over ride system
another sentence.
If we are talking about rattles and I hear exhaust is not attached properly
then WOW big guess who game.
what is the compression on the cylinder?
I saw your CR250 VIDEO;)
year caculater plus steve dick 1.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: DUALSTROKE
Alright did it all its a 01 Blaster. Some of these replies were great had me and my buddies laughing. So took off the top end yup needs a new piston post pictures of her later, also exhaust baffle came loose just gonna do mods would love Toomey exhaust but let me be realistic here I own 3 bikes already two 2 smokes and a rmz450 so like price isn’t really my complaint it’s jusy not that price cool? Maybe eventually but I hear procircuit builds a decent one. Also I don’t have a picture of it but what is the plug
From the back of the carb? And yes after I listed the other 3 bikes is sat this little 200 compared to 2 250 two smokers and a 450f is a little gay, but I wanted a project quad so I know what it can do and lmk but I doubt it will rip the 450. Anyways keep us laughing and lmk some mods. Can’t wait to have her running.

If you have mechanical cable operated brakes then it is an 88-02 year blaster. If it is a hydraulic brake system then it would be an 03-06. Yamaha has a vin search which will tell you and exact year. As long as you know what genre of years it falls in then there is no change in parts. All were the same except for colors throughout the years 88-02. 03-06 had a few changes but mainly brakes, plastics, stator. Hard to tell what that noise is. Could be piston slap, crank noise, flywheel rattle, clucth basket/hub/pressure plate rattle, etc. I would also take off the exhaust header pipe and shake it around. If you hear something rattling inside then that could be your problem. The stock exhausts have a baffle built in and are known to come loose and eventually cause running issues. Cut it open, rip it out, reweld and back to normal. Once you know what the issues are then you can decide how much money you want to put into it. Then decide if you want power or handling and we can better recommend and exhaust, engine mods, shocks, a-arms etc. You ned to find out where the noise is and that will tell you where and what you need to start on. Also a stethoscope or a piece of pipe will help you diagnose where it is coming from. Hold the pipe against your ear and place it in different spots around the engine and see if you can narrow down the location of the noise.

Ok well took everything off exhaust, top end the whole 9. I’m not the best mechanic yet I’m not the worst but I do know that I just saved myself a ton of money by switching to geico and checking out that noise. Dude piston looked like hell and lucky me I saved it before any damage was done to the cylinder walls. I’ll post pictures, so then when you said shake exhaust I did and baffle was loose. So now that top end is on its way and all else checks out what mods would you suggest I know Toomy makes the best but at the moment life changed and can’t spend all my money on the best parts, quality yes but best no(women). Anyways yeah I hear you should jet them out as well idk what I do know is that the owner stressed he changed the jets in the carb or “rebuild” the carb. Anyways lmk

E7DDCD04-7EA6-42F7-8EA9-032C653319D6.jpeg
CB2412B9-8F4D-45F7-8AAC-D3DE04AE5939.jpeg
Ok well I have to crack the case now that half the skirt is in the bottom end but can anyone please tell me what I’m looking at on top of the carb? And what it plugs into anyone please?