DIY helmet cam mount for less than $5

Demo4o1

Jan 29, 2011
Providence, RI
www.facebook.com
no drilling or nothing crazy fellaz. and its DIRT cheap and easy! idk what kind of stores u have around ur way, but i picked this up at a dollar tree store for $1 and i used a street bike helmet because thats all i have. i have a red street bike so i figure save me some $ and use the same one
IMG_20110509_143834.jpg

now that u have the tri pod, u will need a dremel. if u dont have one a hack saw would do. or u could just leave it the way it is. i cut them to make it lower on the helmet that way if its high on top, branches could knock it off alignment. or off period. find a good spot to mount the tripod and mark it, now cut it off!
DSCF0754.jpg

now that u cut it off, (or chosed to leave it) it should look like this
DSCF0756.jpg

so in this pic, notice its not "flat" on the table? u want tripod to stretch wider in its stance. i used a blade sharpener for the dremel to make like a groove over the legs so it could move wider or u could use a razor to cut upside down "V's"
DSCF0754.jpg
DSCF0753.jpg

THIS pic is how u want it to look but i made it look alot smoother and rounded after this pic but u get the idea
DSCF0751.jpg

now with that done lets go to next step. u'll need adhesive VELCRO strips. i got mine at lowes
DSCF0755.jpg

u cut them the same length as the the arms are
DSCF0756.jpg

Re: Helmet cam mount for less than $5

in this step u will remove the backing on either side, stick it on the tripod legs. since the legs are circular, just squeez them flat for better grip on the velcro
DSCF0757.jpg

now loosen the velcro, remove the other backing, find ur mounting mark, and stick the SOB on the helmet, oh dont forget to clean the surface of the helmet. so with it ON the helmet now dont press in just yet, take off the tripod, leaving the velcro on the helmet as shown. now that is when u press it in permanently
DSCF0759.jpg
DSCF0758.jpg

so now it should look like this:
IMG_20110509_151117.jpg

adjust ur camera by lettin someone wear the helmet and sitting on ur bike. its pretty sturdy so u wont have to worry about it falling off or getting misaligned while riding. when ure done riding, easily take the mount off. i watched a few youtube vids on how to do this but i think mine is the most easiest one and cheapest.
heres the test of the cam. its a rocky and bumpy trail so its prolly gonna give u a slight headache after watching it lol

Last edited by a moderator:
u mean the floor boards? lol yea those i guess were built for powerline workers to get thru bc underneith it is all water and sh*t. i recorded alot that day but it was too long and dizzying to watch. on way back where u see the rocky road i ran into a buck and got it on video too but it was shakey so u wouldnt really see it anyway unless paused it frame by frame

good out the box thinking, but how does the velcro hold up under the bumps? im thinking a little bit of whiplash from a harsh landing and off goes the very expensive camera!!

but still--clever

yea those trails are bumpy as sh*t! lucky i have skids. my swingarm is constantly banging into rocks! my buddy bent his rear rotor there lol. my rear rims are bent in man places inside and out from those trails. (douglas .125's)

as for the velcro it works great! i hit a few small jumps in that vid too but u cant really notice it. didnt effect the cam at all. theres this one steep ass hill in the vid where i said "whoo" that hill ALWAYS gave me a problem goin up. at the point of the top of the hill its damn near pointing straight up! since u guys like the vids i'll post more I:I

basically lol.. RI has no legal riding spots in the whole POS state. unless on private land. so there really not much riding spots. theres others but i didnt get to record it yet. all the trails i ride DEM sometimes be around or cops on 4x4 quads.but we never.. EVER stop for them bc they WILL confiscate our bikes, fine us, even criminally charge ppl from what i heard

Reactions: theblasterboy
Now get your honey to put tyhe helmet on point the camera down towards her clevage, and tell here to go over those rocks!

Yes i'm a dirty old man!

yea its not durable. well.. it IS a cheap mod lol. there was times a branch knocked it sideways. or just too shaky. and i was gonna get one of those lens where it curves the view u know? like skate board vids or aggressive in line skating