Difference between oils?

Yamahaslob

Nov 25, 2012
Is there a difference between 10w30 synthetic used for cars and transmissions on 2 stroke quads?

Yes. Dont put automotive oil in your blaster. You will be replacing the clutch soon. Get some belray gearsaver and use that. Best stuff out in my opinion

Only use lubricants that are designed for wet clutch systems. Some people do run 4 stroke engine oil in 2 stroke transmissions but only that which is designed for wet clutches, often referred to a motorcycle or ATV oil on the label. I run ATF in my 2 stroke transmissions. I think it lets the gears shift a little cleaner but I change it often because it's so much thinner than gear oil but most of the time it looks new coming out. Opinions vary on what to use but there is a conscious on what not to use.

Yamaha advise to use Yamalube 4 in the transmission.

It is a plain and simple 4 stroke 10 w 30 motor oil.

It is perfectly OK to use a 4 stroke motor oil in the transmission, providing that it contains no friction modifiers.

People use Auto trans fluid type F with excellent results.

Don't laugh, but I like to use Pro Honda HP Transmission Oil - 80W/85W , I've used this stuff in everything 2 stroke and 4 stroke that i've owned as far as quads/dirt bikes go. Its designed for 2 stroke's but came highly recommended by the honda dealer for the 2004 Honda crf450RR I owned, been using it ever since.

Heres a link to check it out. I:I

Pro Honda HP Transmission Oil | ATV | Rocky Mountain ATV/MC

Honda's claim to fame with this oil

" HP Trans Oil offers ultra-high film strength and shear stability to minimize transmission wear, while its high thermal stability prevents foaming and premature oil breakdown.
Special anti-friction additives allow smoother shifting, while minimizing drag and power loss. Anti-shear additives increase clutch life, reducing clutch slippage. "

There are many choices out there for oil, just make sure you pick a decent one. I would steer clear of motor oil being used in the tranny not because its harmful, but because it doesnt offer the same protection of other oils that are available to you.

*Disclaimer*
This is just my .02 and im new here, so take my advice lightly and do some research on any products I may have influenced you to use.

Last edited:
I use Mobile1 5w-30 full synthetic
as recommended by my Driveline Performance 240HD clutch.

Regular Type f tranny fluid cheap and easy! But i do change often every 20 hrs which is about every three rides. And the red turns dark red/brown after three rides

Last edited: