Cylinder Porting DIY

i thought that was very interesting seeing how he does it ill never do it myself ill leave it to the pro but i like seeing the "magic" happen I:II:II:II:II:II:I

I have it done on my ride right now! As noober said, it's not the same a professional port job but it's certainly a start. Add this to a cut head and you have a very nice lightly modded blaster.

One word of warning though. Once you have a little bit you'll want more...be ready to purchase all of the supporting modifications to get the most power possible out of it.

Anything you do to affect the rate that air can flow in or out of the engine could affect the tune of the engine. You should check your jetting after you change anything.

Thanks for you vids and help Ken !!!! Frickin blaster rips now
Got alot of snow here to test and tune but, got alot of new rubber marks in garage !!!
Your the man !!!

Ken. You are so good at what you do. Thanks for the info. I also have a junk head and i will be trying it myself. Hope i get nice at it. Did i tell that rockland boces is looking for a small engine teacher. I would strongly recommend...lol

Not to shoot anyone down or step on toes or be rude, but from what I have seen this is not cylinder porting. This is just cleaning up the ports. On a dyno your looking at about 1-2 Hp gain maybe by port matching and proper texturing.
Im not sure if you actually PORT cylinders as in alter port size and timing and blowdown etc but unless you do your just making it look pretty.
Besides porting a cylinder its also very inportant to port and port match the cases as thats where a lot of your restrictions are.
Years ago we did a lot of testing with these engines and found when running a larger carb boost ports were very importantwhen it comes to making useable HP.
Maybe the OP can shed some light on this?

I understand port specs are often trade secrets between different builders, im not asking for specs.
I worked closely with a few builders and designers such as Mac dizzy and had posted port specs, head designs and set ups on other blaster sites to give the beginner a head start on a custom and very powerful port job.

I think the idea of this was a good cleanup and to not do anything dangerous for someone in their garage. Ken specifically warned about tinkering with the area in the intake window (which I ignored completely at my own risk) to keep someone who was going to do more damage than good from messing anything serious up.

The vids show the basics and a few things that can be done with basic tools to improve the cylinder. This is not what you get when you buy porting from any of the builders on this site. I've seen them all and everyone is changing port size, angle, width and duration. No one is selling “fluff and buff” port jobs. I've also seen some of the work these vids have inspired and I have to say I'm impressed with some of the work these guys did.

Reactions: dustin lafeir