Cutting in and out at peak RPM

MDR27

Nov 8, 2013
Bootheel Missouri
Finally got the Blaster powered drag bike going, but in high gear it starts cutting in and out. It kinda sounds electrical but not real sure. It has all stock electrical components.

What revs are we looking at?

What plug?

Have you confirmed jetting?

What diagnostics have you done electrically?

Last edited:
The stock ignition on an adjustable plate is more than fine for your setup, you should not have to run a pvl. Are you running a nology coil and hot wires or stock coil? I would also check the spark plug wire connections on both ends but more specifically at the coil if it is stock. Possibly even try cutting the wire back a 1/2 inch and reconnect it.

I'm running a stock coil and I did cut the boot end back, I have another stator I'm going to try. I talked to a guy that said my squish clearance might be too tight and blowing the spark out at high rpms, which is at 42mm now.

Power jet or no? (if not than you need one).. What is your timing set at? You may need to go up 1 size on the rod and or go up on the power jet. Also what size bowl do you have on it now?

Last edited:
It does have an adjustable powerjet, and I tried my timing at +8. It has a lecton oversized bowl, which it just deeper than factory, and the pick-up might be an issue, not sure.

How many runs have you done so far? any adjustments at all since its ben running or is this the first time out and you're fine tuning? I would drop back a bit on the timing,,?? What rod are you running in the carb?

This was the first time out with this bike, I'm using a PE-1 needle, I did try the timing at +5,+8 and maxed out, without changing the issue. I changing out the stator now, I'll update later on. Thanks

If you're at .028", I'd close it to .020" and test it out. If you are in fact blowing the spark out, the money required to fix the problem would be better invested in a beefed up ignition system rather than re-cutting the head IMO.

With the forced induction cars we used to build, we'd start at a gap of .010" and go up incrementally by .002" until we saw a miss. At that point, we'd back it off by .004". Some instances allowed for .050" or more, while some didn't allow for more than .016".

We'll I'm back to square one, changed the stator and recapped the plug to .10 with the same results. I'm going to try a bigger bowl now and possibly a pump.

Do you still have the clear bowl that comes with them or did you get it with the billet one installed already? Asking because you can save yourself some $ and a headache if you could just look down after a long run and see how much fuel is in there.. Also what size fuel line ,petcock etc are you using? if you don't have one already you may want and should upgrade to a pingle valve.. To me it sounds like you not getting enough fuel one way or another..

Maybe take the head off and make a few pulls so that you can see whats going on in there while you're riding it?

I kid... After thinking about it, I want to agree with jus_me. Have you tried letting off of the throttle for a few seconds after it misses and trying it again? May be top end fuel starvation. If it clears up at the same range it was missing at or even takes longer to miss after you let off for a few seconds, I'd look at fuel supply.

I have some videos but you can't tell anything as she was always racing somebody. Going to do some more testing tomorrow, got the bowl changed and intake drilled for a pump just incase.

I put a tach on it, and it's cut in and out at 10200, which might be much for a stock ignition. It kinda acts like a rev limiter. Is there any other options?