CT 240 Intake & Reed Spacers

79 bronco

Moderator & Self Custom Psycho
Staff member
Apr 9, 2010
I don"t know???????
Im testing the fitment of different intakes and reed spacers on my CT 240.

Top left is a standard intake that comes with the CT cylinder, top right is a 1987 CR250 intake .
Bottom left is a 1/4 reed spacer, middle is a 3/8, right is a 1/2.

104_8703.JPG

Standard intake.
104_8719.JPG

1987 CR250 intake.
104_8721.JPG

You can see the all the scratches on the frame cross member from fitting the carb in and out over the years.

35mm PWK with standard intake!
104_8705.JPG
104_8707.JPG

1/4 reed spacer with standard intake!
104_8711.JPG
104_8710.JPG

3/8 reed spacer with standard intake!
104_8715.JPG
104_8714.JPG

1/2 reed spacer with standard intake!
104_8718.JPG

104_8717.JPG

Reactions: bummer981
If you rode tested ALL of these that would be impressive.

Do you think the standard intake, no spacer would ride the same as the old intake with 1/2" spacer? depending on the side of reeds spacer is on
They look close to the same in distance from cylinder.

standard intake that comes with the CT cylinder, no spacer, for more top end.

1987 CR250 intake with 1/4 reed spacer for more bottom end.

can't run spacers behind VF reeds, they depend on the intake to hold the center section into outer plate.
if a spacer was made with a smaller ID. to press against the center section of VF's, they'd work on the backside.

it appears some of those won't work, either too close to cross member, or aiming at that gusset ?

If you rode tested ALL of these that would be impressive.

Do you think the standard intake, no spacer would ride the same as the old intake with 1/2" spacer? depending on the side of reeds spacer is on
They look close to the same in distance from cylinder.

lol dont feel like rode testing that much! hahah! If they would ride different than i probably wont be able to tell the difference!

standard intake that comes with the CT cylinder, no spacer, for more top end.

1987 CR250 intake with 1/4 reed spacer for more bottom end.

can't run spacers behind VF reeds, they depend on the intake to hold the center section into outer plate.
if a spacer was made with a smaller ID. to press against the center section of VF's, they'd work on the backside.

it appears some of those won't work, either too close to cross member, or aiming at that gusset ?

Hmm I didnt think about the running the spacers behind VF reeds, i took some pic today to show what your talking about with the VF reeds depend on the intake to hold it all together, and made a different spacer!

Yep some wont fit very well, if i flex the hell out of the intake boot i may be able to make them work, or rip the boot! :eek:

Last edited:
I also got this 2001 Cr250 intake to play with. It wont fit with the VF unless i cut the big lumps off! I will fit the stock cage.
104_8756.JPG
104_8757.JPG
104_8758.JPG
104_8759.JPG

sweet spacer for the back of the VF's Doug !

theory has it,....

the further you move the reeds from the intake (spacer in front of reeds) the power band comes on sooner.

the further you move the carb from the reeds (spacer behind reeds), power comes on later in the rpm's

I have a 3/8" spacer in front of my VF3's, as it was glued permanantly to them when I bought them lightly used.
I thought I could cut them apart, but was damaging the fiber cage in the process, so it stayed.
not sure it made any difference, but gained extra space between 34mm carb and clutch actuator.

Reactions: 79 bronco
BTW...since your capable of making these spacers, could you make the top 1/2 thicker than the bottom, to angle the carb just enuf to clear the cross member thats interferring with the carb as it moves back ?

BTW...since your capable of making these spacers, could you make the top 1/2 thicker than the bottom, to angle the carb just enuf to clear the cross member thats interferring with the carb as it moves back ?

I would have to take itto the machine shop next door. Unless i do it on the belt sander.:eek:

sweet spacer for the back of the VF's Doug !

theory has it,....

the further you move the reeds from the intake (spacer in front of reeds) the power band comes on sooner.

the further you move the carb from the reeds (spacer behind reeds), power comes on later in the rpm's

I have a 3/8" spacer in front of my VF3's, as it was glued permanantly to them when I bought them lightly used.
I thought I could cut them apart, but was damaging the fiber cage in the process, so it stayed.
not sure it made any difference, but gained extra space between 34mm carb and clutch actuator.

So using the 1987 CR250 intake boot moves my carb about 1/2" closer to the reeds and also allows me to put a 1/2" spacer between the cylinder and reeds. So in theory i will be getting a double hit of a sooner power band???:confused:

So using the 1987 CR250 intake boot moves my carb about 1/2" closer to the reeds and also allows me to put a 1/2" spacer between the cylinder and reeds. So in theory i will be getting a double hit of a sooner power band???:confused:

that would be one for testing.

Its not looking good for the 2001 Cr250 intake manifold! :(

It puts the carb at a bad angle. It angles the carb right to the frame and cross member.

2001 Cr250 intake manifold!
104_8763.JPG
104_8761.JPG

2001 Cr250 intake manifold with 1/4 reed spacer!
104_8766.JPG
104_8765.JPG

2001 Cr250 intake manifold with 3/8 reed spacer!
104_8770.JPG
104_8769.JPG

2001 Cr250 intake manifold with 1/2 reed spacer!
104_8773.JPG
104_8774.JPG

what crank are you running ?
if the +3 vitos with the stuffer blocks, which are to reduce crankcase volume, is a spacer in front of the reeds counter acting the stuffer blocks by allowing extra volume in the intake ?

Here are some top views so you can see the angle the intake manifold puts the carb on!

Standerd intake with 1/2 reed spacer!
The 1/2 reed spacer puts the carb up against the cross member

104_8779.JPG