cross drilled my rims blaster to honda pattern

reagor

May 23, 2012
nj
www.google.com
Disclaimer: i know this is odd but i figured i show it off, the reverse would work to convert a honda rim to a blaster pattern,

both the '86? honda hub and baster have the same spline count and very similar diameter (honda is a little tighter)

i took a blaster hub w/ studs(gold) and a honda hub without the studs(red), i went over to a box of clutch alignment tools (the plastic thing you get with a new clutch for a car/truck) and kept trying tools till i found one that fit the splines of the blaster hub and slid in tight

ACT-clutch-alignment-tool.jpg

then i took it over and cut the loop of the end and started shaving the handle to fit snugly into the honda hub (read spun it against my bench grinder till it fit in tightly with some twisting)

yzUyW.jpg

JVyde.jpg

i used the wheel spacers(as nuts only) to hold the blaster hub to the tire-valve side of the rim, they are wider than the lug nuts and hopefully a better machined 90 degree surface

then i slid the honda hub with the alignment tool into the blaster hub from the mounted(other) side of the rim and used a drill through the honda hub into the rim

i checked the spacing between the red hub and rim wall on all corners to make sure it was as close to center as i could get it

as i drilled a hole i would drop a wheel-stud through the honda hub and the rim, no nut on the other side, to help keep everything in line

i forgot to take a picture with my jig mounted on the rim but it was pretty stable (enough for a dewalt plugin drill) ... i had to go up a size drillbit to get a nice fit on the hub when trying to mount the wheel but when we test spun them there was no play up/down...the factory holes are bigger than my new ones,

i thought about making them a lil bit bigger and using my conical lugs but the sun was goin down and i wanted to test ride...they worked good and at most im off by 0.1-.2mm on center :) ... if i did it again i would rotate the honda hub a spline or 2 one way to clear the valve-stem better (you have to move it out of the way to tighten the lugs)

here they are mounted on my honda hubbed blaster

0iLAH.jpg

NK3LU.jpg

Last edited:
Interesting, I have never seen someone do this before. Might not be the best for strength, but it's worth a try.