Craigs list horror stories

2strokerdie

Dec 5, 2014
Middletown ct
Not sure what you guys think about this but figured what the hell. I figure pretty much everybody probably has a CL horror story or 2 and thought it may be a little entertaining to share our stories. I know I have 1 or 2 myself. Plus maybe hearing somebody else's story will make you feel a little better about your own. Watcha guys think? If it's a stupid idea just say so, pretty sure I can take it.o_O

well I got my blaster on CL for 600 and even though it needed some work and the guy was a massive tool I can't complain.

I did however one time trade the stock rims off of my Lexus is300 for a PS3 and ton of games in RI and met the guy at a Chinese joint. When I got there I noticed someone watching us peeking around the corner of the building real shady like. I thought for sure they were going to try and rob me (I conceal carry almost always) I yelled "I see you ahole" long story short it was the guys brother and supposedly the day before he got held at gunpoint and robbed during a CL deal so he was just watching his back. Def gotta be careful using CL

When I got my blaster I had traded a arctic cat sled for it, the sled had been crazy reliable, always started etc. Anyway, after about 2 hours after the trade the guy calls me pissed saying the sled seized on him and he was coming to my house well it was the middle of the winter in Massachusetts and dark out and I had school the next morning but I knew I would have been pissed too so he came over and we brought it into my families barn, i try to pull it over and it actually feels seized but i didn't believe it so I spun the clutch and it was all good. I immediately realized it was likely the flywheel and what do ya know, pulled the flywheel and the stator had unmounted and collided with the flywheel so the crank couldnt turn. could have been really bad but still scared me. Other than that never had a bad experience.

We posted some old wood hauling trailers for free on there. More than one person showed up at the same time.

one family wanted them to use, could tell they didnt have much money.
other guys were stupid. idk what they wanted them for. our trailers were crappy compared to the one he pulled to load them on. when we told him each person would get one trailer he go all mad and offered us $50. and for the record, he was holding a few grand in his hand... we told him to leave after getting his license plate number. he spun his tires most of the way down the driveway.

Only one incident for me I found a 16' aluminum Jon boat with a 10hp motor and the add said 500 both in the add and on the listing called the guy told him I would be there that night it was about a 2 hour drive so I hopped right in the truck headed out. I get there look it over it looked alright little ruff but 500 and it ran good so Im Like I'll take it 500 right? And he's goes "what?! The price is 1500 "and gets all insulted so I pulled the add up on my phone and showed him and he's like Im sorry I must have miss typed I can't sell it for that! So needless to say I always verify price now lol

My worst so far was a fake seller. Supposedly had a 50" flat screen that would come on, but would freeze up after that. 1.5 hours from my house. Told them I would be there at 5. Never gave me address or phone. Had my lady and baby with me in the middle of winter. Also said up another meeting to get a ladder rack from somebody else in the area. Sent an email about every 30 mins for about 2 hours, while we ate and did some shopping. Then I sent another said I had a another meeting to go to, and then I was heading home. Then they emailed me back said they were ready and gave me a place to meet 30 mins from where I was. Got there and waited an hour and nothing. Emailed over and over no response. Never got a response again actually. Missed meeting the other guy, and wasted alot of time, and the baby was not happy being in the car all that time.

Strangest thjng i had happen was When I went to get the white blaster, this lady was mad at her kids for destroying everything she bought them. I paid her and went to load it, she yelled at me to stop, and told me "those little a-holes will put it in your truck".

I was kinda stuck in the middle of her trying to teach her kids a lesson, and just wanting to get out of their before they pitched a fit.

They loaded it, I told them thanks, and got the hell out of West Virginia.

Reactions: pudvah
thats funny back in 1998 my brother bought a 1998 Blaster for 500 because the kid got caught riding it on the road a bunch of times by his parents and they made him load it up too lol. then he destroyed it cause there was no gear oil in it haha

A couple weeks ago, I dropped my phone when cleaning it and decided it would be a good time to upgrade. Saw someone just posted an iphone 6+ for $400. I didn't really want to spend that much on a phone and I thought the iphone 6+ was a little too big for my liking but I also saw that about 3 posts a week would show up saying people are willing to give cash with a trade to the new iphone. So I figured why not get the 6+ at a great price then get some of the money back in a trade for the iphone 5S or something. That would put me with a newer phone than I had for a lot less than what the normal selling price was for them.

I met the guy and gave the phone a quick look over. Nothing stood out as I swiped through a few things on it and the guy selling wasn't suspicious in any way so I got it. Drove home right after and plugged it into my computer to connect to iTunes and the computer only recognized it as external storage. Did more research and all the functions like the fingerprint sensor and iTunes app and other apps where replicas that didn't actually work just displayed stuff that looked like the app. I also found out that it was running some type of sh*tty android OS and the only place it got reception was in places that normal phones have 5 bars. So I couldn't even use it as a phone except every now and then when I was driving somewhere.

Needless to say, the guy never answered my calls or texts and I didn't have any information on him so I'm out $400 on a phone I didn't even really want. LEARNED MY LESSON ABOUT CRAIGSLIST! CHECK EVERYTHING ABOUT IT BEFORE YOU BUY AND IF IT LOOKS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE OR ITS SUSPICIOUS THEN DON'T BUY IT. GET THE NEXT ONE.

I also have a handgun permit so I conceal carry to all my meetings so he was lucky I didn't see that he was scamming before he left.

ya man with phones you should always meet at verizon or at&t whoever your provider is. If there not willing to meet there so you can set it up prior to buying then it is a scam.