cr 500

Jhabeeb

Jul 25, 2011
Burlington, Mass
i saw someone swapped their blaster engine with a 465IT and searched for one but couldnt find one so i found a cheap cr 500 engine and was wondering if that could be made to fit also?? and how much more difficult it would be than a 465IT and i also just noticed they still manufacture all the parts for the cr 500 so finding parts for the engine would be a breeze

the cr500 was an amazing bike, and collectors love them, and riders want them for their power. i dont see them quitting manufacturing parts for them anytime soon, and they should be fairly cheap to fix.

To answer your question, it can be made to fit, but it depends on your skills as a fabricator

non counterbalanced, why this is a problemin a quad and not the donating bike is beyond me ?????????????

Do a search on CR/KX500 and YZ490 vibrating and you'll see alot of dirtbike owners complaining of it.
I'm not goin to pretend to know the physics on why it's worse in a quad then a dirtbike but it seems the more contact points you add to the ground, the more noticeable it gets. Dirtbikes are OK, 3 wheelers worse, and then quad the worst.
Theres a 5 year old thread still goin on E2S with over 1000 replys and no one has ever stopped it EXCEPT 1.
One guy added a counter balencer, that's the ONLY way.

You can get away with rubber spacers on the motor mounts in place of washers it will absorb a bit of the energy from vibration. But on the other hand if your not going to use it often it's only going to be a question if your tough enough to man up and pretend it's nothing and you'll enjoy it enough not to care...............

Just man up thats the answer. Don't over think the situation with all kinds of rubber mounts. It's been done. Not trying to be a know it all but the time thinking up a new way with crazy mounts could be spent riding lol
Besides once you rubber mount the motor the pipe cracks from all the movement of the motor.

On a different note some of the reasons they vibrate more is the OEM cranks. In the bigger is better HP race in the late 70's-80's, OEM's were in such a hurry to get the next big thing out they started carrying over the cranks. This happened the the 490 and believe it or not the Banshee too.
This race is the reason my totally redesigned 79' yz400 from the previous 400's only lasted 1 year, then it was redisigned into the 465 for only 2 years, then it turned into the 490.

The fact that the 465 and 490 use the same exact crank should lite a lite over your head. The RZ250 and RZ350 used the exact same crank (The RZ350 being the banshee's twin internally) It's not so noticeable on a shee because of the twin design. In fact aftermarket cranks for a shee are also out of balance because they just copied the OEM one. There is one company out there that sells a real balanced crank for a Banshee. They take new aftermarket one and add Mallory to it to make it the way it should have been.
The sh*tty OEM cranks in a banshee is the reason Yamaha added the remote rubber bottom mounts and the other rubber motor mounts.
In the case of the Banshee apparently redesigning the crank, and manufacturing it was not economical not to mention they just found a use for all those old RZ cranks sittin around.

The RZ350 being the banshee's twin internally I've done the research as well it's interesting when you find someone that knows :D The sh*tty OEM cranks in a banshee is the reason Yamaha added the remote rubber bottom mounts and the other rubber motor mounts. Thats what I was getting at as well :D for the RZ it certainly was inspiring(sarcasm) as far as the motor is concerned the body work however was ahead of it's time to say the least. Much like eric buell is today...........perhaps some of that fear transfered into yamaha on a sub consecous level................................makes you think

Grow some Nuts and just ride the rumble..... My 465IT has a bit more rumble than the stock or upgraded(MODED) Blaster. Its noticable for the pansies out there who cant handle feeling the power between their legs. For me it totally worth it to be able to fly throught the wood and climbing hills in 3rd gear with ease. 1st gear thats only for starting it up.

Oh and P.S. Even with a solid rigid mounted motor, You still can rip your silencer apart without doing any damage to the motor or its mounts. We can blame that on the extra rumble or atleast i did.

As for the Engine swap i say DO IT!!!!!!!!!!

My blaster has a 84 cr 500 motor and it is crazy. I will say you need to make a beefy front engine mount. I used the stock rear mount off the cr. I had to cut the swing arm to fit the cr mount. Then drilled the bolt hole bigger on the cr mount ( the blaster swing arm bolt was bigger). Made custom Fabed top and bottom mounts to fit cr motor (Beefy). If you do it this way you should be fine. To me the vibes are not that much worse than my lil bros ltz 250 at idle. So far so good

My Mods: head milled for 110 race gas, ported & Polished wiseco piston, boyesen rad, stock carb bored, new clutch, 96 Cr 250 ignition, Cpi Custom Out frame Pipe, 14/40 gearing, +6 swingarm, shredder X/C tires, cr 500 handle bars, vented race front, custom dog bone, or stock cr shock for off road riding, custom fabed blaster kick starter. Its alot easier to kick over with that low center gravity.

Soon to come Mods: + 10 swing arm, 22'' zippers 44t back sprocket