Cop Justice

I am not going to argue the point of what he should or should have not done I am however going to say, there is no such things as a "routine" traffic stop. i should know, my department just had 2 officers killed while conducting a "routine" traffic stop and 2 more killed during a SWAT entry to arrest the suspect.

With that being said, anytime a stop is made and from the beginning the people are not following verbal commands and want to leave or walk away from the vehicle I am going to be a bit on edge until I can get the situation under control.

Yes, the officer may have done some things wrong but, in the heat of the moment when you don't know what is going on mistakes can be made. Everybody needs to be remember that ALL cops are human and ALL humans make mistakes. All you people that say that he should have done this or should have done that should step back and think about all the training and work that a cop has gone through to earn that badge. All of that training teaches us to be in control of the situation and to control the traffic stop. The moment that we feel that we need to escalate our tactics to control the situation is the moment that most people start with the "that cop is an ahole" or the "he should not be doing that."

Bottom line is yes, the officer could have done things differently regarding the situation but I can only 100% guarantee that if the people in that car would have stopped, waited for the officer to come to the window and let the officer say "the reason I stopped you was (blank) may I have your license, registration and proof of insurance" the whole situation would have gone differently after that. Once that happened the driver could have said "oh my mother inlaw is dying we need to go see her before she passes" Any normal officer would have probably said "ok, watch your speed and the red lights that you just ran, and have a good night"

All I am trying to say is that yes, the situation could have been handled different by BOTH officer and citizen so it is not fair to put 100% blame on the officer for this one.

well i was going to say pretty much the same thing as cc&fabb. he hit the nail right on the head. sure it could have been handeled differently, in this day and age you never know what is going to happen.

I dont think that Officer Hege and Sgt. Dunakin knew what was going to happen when they pulled over the car of parole Lovel Mixson on March 21st 2009. It was just a traffic stop. Both has done hundrededs.

You can never be to safe. How does that officer know that the people jumping out of the car do not have guns ect. Untill the situation is under control i fell an officer should use the force needed. Remeber that he was out numbered, and the car failed t yelid to his red and blue lights.

Im not saying that he was right 100% of the time, but neither were the people in the car. It could have gone differently.

Just remeber one thing. If the mother had not died, this would not even be a story.

Here is a link that may help some of you to understand why officers are so on guard while at work. It could happen any time. during a traffic stop, or just a simple disturbance call.

RIP Oaklnd Officers.
http://www.insidebayarea.com/news/oakland-police-shooting/

It is a tough situation. Lets think about it this way. What if his mom didn't die and he was acting like that would the cop still have been the ahole? People are gonna say the cop is an ahole cause unfortunately the mother died. The cop was doing his job. But like I said its a really touchy situation and to be honest I don't know who I'd side with.

Im glad to see some rational people finally joined the discussion. Police aren't here for our amuzement when its convienant. They are there to protect and serve. "Thats what he was initially doing!"

One of my closest friends is a beat officer in one of the worst areas of Indianapolis, of which I am a health code inspector of the same area and let me tell you, when people get pulled over their best option is to do what the officer asks immediately. Officers across the nation are on edge lately, the public has become very volitile in some areas, especially in lower-income poverty striken neighborhoods.