Considering 22 inch Tires

PMitchell08

Apr 15, 2010
Uniontown, OH
So I am currently running 18 inch Holeshots and they are highly impractical for my riding style/terrain (mostly rutted hills and mud). I picked them up for $50 for the pair with good tread and Baja Rims, it was too cheap to pass on.

Anyway, I want to make my gearing wider and increase ground clearance so I was thinking about switching to 22 inch tires. Is anyone running 22's and if so do any of them fit on stock size 8" rims? I'm considering 22x11x8, Is 11 too wide? stock is 21x10x8. Also, will 22's clear the stock plastic heel guards? I know it's only an extra half inch over the 21's. but most tires are more square than the stock balloons so I'm worried about the curved side of the heel guard. My swinger and axle are both stock.

I want to stay relatively inexpensive, so I've compiled a few links to tires I was interested in. I understand that I'll be sacrificing some bottom end over the stock 21's, but I think it will be worth it to gain some ground clearance over ruts and get a little better grip with taller tires. Any suggestions or insight is greatly appreciated.

Tires I'm Considering:

BKT Sport Tires (Razr Knockoff)
Pirelli Rutbusters
AMS Fox Tires
Kenda Klaw XC's
Dunlop KT537A

ive used those ams fox tires, they have great hook up great ground clearence for the 22's, only problem is they are 2 ply and puncture very easy, but ya cant beat em for the price

they are actaully on the drag bike in my avatar

i have carlisle 22s and they work pretty good but they almost hit my heelguards when the shock bottoms out. they kinda drop your low end but they have great ground clearence

I have 22s but i dont use heel guards i ride desert trails in sand and big rocks they are great for what i do but beware of the 2 ply if u ride wooded trail area wont take much for a small branch to ruin your day

Take a look at Dirt Devils. I had a set that I bought from a member here. They are good tires for the type of riding that you are talking about. They were too close to the guards for me on a stock swingarm so I never used them. You may want to consider an extended swingarm.

i run em with no heel guards and they are beast!! We ride the same trails and if you ride with better quads they help out alot they are sluggish on the bottom but i have never riden any other blaster and ive always had these on mine so idk

remove your plastic heel plates, and cut the mounts away off the metal foot guard thing, and 22"s will run all day with no prob, the ones i ran measured 12" wid and 23" tall even tho they were called 22's they ran with no prob