Confused about oil

Dillonallred

Apr 23, 2017
I just picked up a 96 blaster and I'm confused on the different oils I need is there a difference between the oil I mix with gas and oil I do a change with and what types to you recommend

Ahhhh, The age old question of oil use. You ask this question 5 times, and get 6 different answers.

First off, is there a plastic tank under the left rear fender? If yes, I'd recommend taking it off. Read here:http://www.blasterforum.com/threads/how-to-install-oil-injection-block-off-kit.681/

If you'd like to run it as is, that's your choice.

If there isn't a tank, you'll mix fuel/oil. Most run anywhere from 28:1 - 40:1. 32:1 is most popular here.

Go to a motor sports shop you have in town and grab a ratio-rite cup. The cup will tell/ measure out how much oil to mix with the gas. 32:1 is 4 OZ of oil per gallon of gas. You do the simple math on how much to mix per gallon.

Last edited:
I use castor 927 2 stroke oil mix. However I've found it isn't for every bike. It's a caster based oil so it burns at a different rate. If your not riding hard, higher in the RPM range it'll gunk up your exhaust and leave quite a bit of residue behind. Some don't like it, but I don't have an issue with it.

Plus, the smell is awesome.

Last edited:
I use yamalube 2r in my gas at a 32/1 ratio and I use Honda 80/85 w trans fluid I use both of those on all my machines and they run great

If there is a oil tank under the rear fender, and the blaster is running fine, I would stick to using the factory Yamaha oil injection system. Its a solid system that works great. The only thing that screws it up is operator error. Just keep oil in the tank. Top it up before, or after you ride. We run it on stock blasters, and ported/piped blasters with zero issues. If your blaster still has the stock oil injection system, Perhaps give it a shot, before just taking it off and throwing it in a box. The oil tank lasts through 3 to four tanks of fuel. I like mine.

Reactions: Blaaster
The yellow blaster in my pic went 5 years on one piston with the injector. Had 2 with it removed but hated mixing the gas sitting beside two 4 strokes.

There is a difference between injection and mix oil, be sure to get the correct formula for whichever way you decide to use.
Maxima Super M here, I've used both mix and injection formulas as needed.

And Mobile1 10w-40 4t for the trans fluid, as my clutch manufacturer recommends.