compression test, how many kicks?

mjstone85

Jun 1, 2008
richland, wa
so, when doing a compression test on the blaster. how many times do you kick it over to read your compression? after 7 mine reads 145 but after 10 it reads 175 on a good snap-on gauge. what do you all test at?I:I

Reactions: EvanR335
that is kinda strange....i always thought they should max out after like 3 kicks. I dont really see how it can keep building compression. Are you doing it on a cold cylinder? holding the throttle wide open?

i think there is your problem...your tryin to suck enough air to fill your cylinder all the way with the throttle barely cracked...retest it with the throttle wide open and i bet you hit 170 within 3-4 kicks

ok heres what i got....... 178 psi. compression gauge cover is a little worn, gets a lot of use.
98699v.jpg

im running a stock blaster and i would like to rebuild it before it blows! I hear its much more cost effective and can save you from lots of problems/money in the long run. What is great compression, good, average, below average and not good (rebuild it) I've been riding for about 6 years but it was always someone's machine...not mine (im a good guy and if anything ever broke i'd pay for repairs). I finally got one and this site has helped me more than anything else. Sorry if these are stupid questions~

thx for everyone's help :)

Bad compression. Like wont start bad compression is around 80-90psi and below. My banshee is at 70psi and needs a rebuild, it wont start.

100-110psi is ok compression and 120psi and up is good compression for a stock motor.

You are going to hear all kinds of numbers but from my experience those numbers work. Ive rebuilt a couple blasters and will be rebuilding my banshee soon.