Compression on the shee after rebuild

Budget_Blaster

Dec 25, 2009
Illinois
I did a compression test last night on the shee and upon doing so dropped the gauge and now it reads 45psi all the time but prior to that i had 115psi in both cylinders on a brand new never fired top end.This seems kinda low to me.But i am using forged wisecos and stock head.All the torque specs are done correctly using my digital snap on torque wrench so i know thats correct.

So i borrowed my brothers el cheapo autozone gauge and got 92 in one and 95psi in the other.But this thing sounds like a beast when you kick it over its got what feels like a descent amount of compression.Im kind of afraid to fire it up. for fear i got issues.What do you guys think?

Stock compressions only 120psi in each and all i can think of is the rings are not yet broke in so its not sealing like it should.I sent the jugs off to ken to be mic'ed and rehoned for the new pistons and rings so i know it wasnt some hack job by some fly by night shop.Should i be worried about the compression or the tester maybe is off?I dont deal much with those cheap tools if i can help it.I guess ill check it on my 240BBK that i know was hitting 167psi last check i did.

What you guys think bad gauge or do i got issues?Ive not gotten a leak down so i cant do one yet.

If your comp is that low you have a problem. I'd start with getting a decent comp tester. I have one from sears and its been good to me for many years. If its still low then definitely do a leak down

you've gotta get a different gauge for sure.. the comp tester that dem3500 uses is the same one i use.. for $60 ish it's a great tool to have. even at 115psi your low depending on your elevation. i see your in illinois. so it's not like your at 4000ft.. probably at the 600-1000ft range like us hoosiers. if so then yes souinds low.. but you won't know for sure til you get a good gauge and check it out.. any porting done to the exhaust port?

when youi put the engine back together did you check the ring gap?

Just did another one and got 125 on the right and 130 in the left so im in spec but wtf is there a 5 psi variance?

Also will this the compression increase as the rings seat?

Had me worried for a minute i thought are you kiddiing me thats less psi than before i rebuilt it.

So what you guys think 125-130psi good enough for a stock banshee rebuild with wisecos?