compressed air

fox396

Feb 3, 2011
pa
i have what i beleive is a works remote resevoir rear shock on my blaster. it leaked out and my quad had basically no suspension so the other day i noticed it had what looked like a valve stem on the bottom of the resevoir so i put compressed air into it to recharge it instead of taking it somewhere to get it done with nitrogen or whatever they use to do it and it fixed it making my suspension amazing compared to what it was. a friend of mine said he thought that it was bad to put air into them but i dont see why it would be bad. is it bad? i got the shock for free so im not very concerned with it

The oxygen in air is highly reactive. Not just in the normal "burning" way either. Oyxgen expands exponentially with heat compared to nitrogen or other inert gasses. It is recommended to put nitrogen only in the shock reservoir to control the dampening rate during extreme shock absorber conditions. For most, you can't tell the difference.

Truth be told, I rebuilt my 400ex shock using VVVVVVV those instructions and refilled it with air to try it out. STILL ROCKING IT with compressed air in it.

The oxygen in air is highly reactive. Not just in the normal "burning" way either. Oyxgen expands exponentially with heat compared to nitrogen or other inert gasses. It is recommended to put nitrogen only in the shock reservoir to control the dampening rate during extreme shock absorber conditions. For most, you can't tell the difference.

Truth be told, I rebuilt my 400ex shock using VVVVVVV those instructions and refilled it with air to try it out. STILL ROCKING IT with compressed air in it.

well my shock isnt under any extreme conditions just some trail riding and a cased jump every now and then but nothing major so i should be alright

your also intoroducing moisture by using compressed air
any effects ?????

i did my 400ex with 9bars or air. Sure nitrogen is optimum but normal air is 78% nitrogen anyway.

Unless you do riding where your shock is pushed to its extreme limits for long periods of time such as doing the Dakar, you will not have any problems using air.

your also intoroducing moisture by using compressed air
any effects ?????

The 400ex rear shock has a bladder assembly inside that cast housing reservoir (as do most shocks actually, remote rezzy or not) and the gas only touches the inside of the rubber bladder. I can't see where adding air moist or not would affect the rubber bladder.

The one caveat here is that people who are not doing this work themselves (i.e. paying to have it done) should NOT settle for air in the shock. Compressed air is NOT the "right" way to do this.... only a suitable substitute for most situations in my mind.

true Sic, i only used air cause the only guys in town who do Nitrogen gasing charge R50 a shot and I went to them first after i had the shock rebuilt by some hydraulics guy. However, he did not bleed the shock and i ended up rebuilding it myself. low and behold, when i disassembled, there was gas in the ressi! the guys did even put anything in it and just took the R50

so i went to a truck tyre fitting place which 10 bar compressors and they did it for me.

Perfect ever since!