clutch will not disengage.. banshee

2-stroke-mingming

Jan 30, 2008
Selma, California
Alright guys, i know this is the blaster forum but I own a banshee as well, my second one. So here it is. I just purchased it for a grand, it's been sitting like a year and a half, a 62 year old banker owned it and just let it sit after not getting spark. So I put a new cdi in it and tuned up the motor and boom, it fires right up. Now when I go to test ride it, the clutch seems to stay stuck in the engaged position. What could cause this? Could it be from just sitting too long? Is there anyway to break it loose without tearing into it? I'm gonna do it anyway, but will a simple oil change fix this? I know the clutch cable is ok, i tried adjusting it all the way out to no slack at all and i do see the shift lever above the case moving with the cable so it's gotta be internal.

since its been sitting in oil for for a year id say the plates are stuck together. take the plates out and you'll probably want to replace them. best case, there just a little more stuck then they should be

try to loosen or tighten the clutch cable might be to far in or out making it so it wont stop engaging happened on my blsty after rebuild and kdx 80

Last edited:
^^^^ I was just going to ask the same thing.

Also, did you change all the fluids, like motor oil, gas, everything?? Also take the clutch cover off and take a look at the clutch.

my buddys yfz450 did the same thing his would slip real bad so he just rode it around for a while after changin the fluid and it finaly broke loose but id take it apart cus theres the lil ball and rod (actually on a banshee its a big ball and 1 rod) see if thats stuck and it may just be u need to adjust the clutch arm with the nut and screw on the clutch baskett but either way it needs to be taken apart cleaned and relubed with good fluid

your best bet is to put in a brand new clutch, as most likely this one is going to fall apart on you. also change all the fluids and replace the clutch cable.
a similar thing happen to my zilla, let it sit for about 8 months, but the clutch didn't say engaged, the cable would stick something and finally the cable broke. replaced the cable, work good then the clutch started to slip. The clutch was brand new before I let it sit. Tighted it up, it worked. Went to change the oil and sh*t, looked at the clutch, one plate was messin half of it, pieces of the plate were all in the case, and another plate was cracked in half.
another thing to check is the clutch basket, grooves in the basket will catch and not let clutch disengage. ways to fix this is buy a new one, or try to smooth the grooves down by filin them, but you don't want to file to much away as the clutch will become loose and jerk when disengaged and f*ck up the basket more.

lol, don't people read? if the cable is moving the lever, thats not ur problem, unless you don't have it adjusted tight enough to pull the lever far enough to completely disengage.

i agree with 89. from sitting for so long, i bet the plates are all stuck together. you could try changing the transmission fluid, then get it started, rolling, then put it in gear, pull the clutch in, and punch the throttle a few times to see if it will brake them loose... then it may end up being fine, or you may rip the crap out of the plates, in which case you'll need to get a new clutch anyhow...

it takes all of 2 minutes to pull your clutch cover off and inspect your clutch
a gasket will cost you $1.00