Clutch side crank seals

skeetab5780

Feb 6, 2015
Spencer, Mass
www.youtube.com
So I started tearing the engine down to get at the seals since I had excessive smoke after doing a top end on a engine I had no prior experience with,(I know I should do a leak down test) but as always seals are cheap and I figured I needed them when I was pissing oil out of the exhaust and smoking out my warehouse.

Long story short the entire clutch is out and I'm trying to remove the 19mm nut on the primary drive gear. I had a 19mm closed star wrench on it and it stripped it out before it broke loose. Now I don't know what I should do to get it off, I'm sure I could take a Dremmel to it worst case and cut it out, but it would certainly not be fun.

Also if I ever get this nut off I'm also curious as to where all these 7 or 8 seals go.

Thanks for any input.

i would soak it in wd 40 or something similiar and wait alittle while to do its thing then take a torch to the nut to heat it up and expand it try not to heat up the bolt then try to take it off with vice grips if the nut is stripped. u might need to use a breaker bar i did. also i used a quarter and a nickel to stop the gears from moving to loosen the nut. as far as the seals go there are 2 for the crank and the rest are for the transmission gears

I'm not sure what a "closed star" wrench is ?
But highly doubt you could strip it with a 6 point socket or wrench, which may still grab it if you stripped it with a 12 point ?
Do you have the locking washer tabs bent down ?
As above....penetrating oil, heat and a 12 point may get it.
Let us know.

I was wondering how a closed star wrench could have stripped it!

image.jpg

There is not tab on the nut on the Primary gear, unless im looking at them wrong... And the wrench is a regular 12 point 19mm but the non open side..I was just calling it the wrong thing.

Either way the nut is stripped and something will need to break it free

Its not reverse thread is it?

It is a regular thread!

If all else fails you may get it off with one of these, but you may need a new one to put back on,

It's been a while since I have been inside, but you may have enough room to swing one!

image.jpg

Haha its funny you say that! I did try a 18" pipe wrench quickly but found my 400ex frame and the cylinder head kinda gets in the way of things, nvm the nut is so skinny it hardly get a strong bite after its already rounded over. I may have to take the engine out of the frame again :(

none of this is a great idea!
but sometimes i need to choose the next size down
socket/hammer it on/they put ratchet on and take it off.
whatever you did/or whatever you are going to do will be your
own fate.....i would say you need a new nut/and whatever tool
you used has many miles on it:)

i have also succesfully clamped them hard with vise grips/sticking out/then put a pipe wrench on the vise grips to turn it.

show us a pic of this nut, before you go any further, if you can?

Last edited:
Me and a friend just tried again with a 6 point 19mm 1/2" drive socket and a breaker bar...still slipped with 2 people applying forces. Then we tried that same socket on a 18v cordless impact gun...it seemed like it would have worked but the tool was not strong enough. I am seeing if another friend will let me borrow a better one soon.

Go to a small auto repair shop. Find one that has been there for at least 30 years. Ask them if they have a nut splitter. I bet they would split it off there for a 6 pack of beer. No heat needed and it won't destroy your crank.

ns2a.jpg

NO, you should never hit the end of the crank with a hammer !
unless it's already junk, it will be after using caveman tools

I've used nut extractors, not on this particular nut, but they usually work well. Heat that thing up and try a 19 mm one of these. You should be able to find one at a auto parts store, Napa us where I got a set.

Pic is an example of them.

8381915.jpg

BP Blaster, time, and a good impact with a 12 point would be my best bet. Stuff like this take patients and thinking. There are times when breaker bars and cheaters are not the answer.