Clutch Push Plate and Push Rod -- Picture Included

cyphertext69

Sep 30, 2007
Leonardtown, (Southern) Maryland
So last night I was adjusting my clutch when I decided to "inspect and measure" the friction plates, springs, etc. I took off the push plate and the friction plates. Needless to say, I can't get it back together.

So here's my dilemma:

I put the push plate that screws onto the push rod #1 on and once I put the push rod back inside and the pressure plate on, I can't get the damn nut to screw on the push rod to hold the pressure plate on.

What I've tried:

I noticed that somehow push rod #1 and push rod #2 melted the ball bearing and welded itself together, no big deal, got another engine I'll steal the parts from. So I stuffed the "new" push rods and bearing in, put pressure with my hand, works great! When I put the push plate on (screwed all the way down to touch the nut on the clutch boss), it no longer threads with the push rod, but I left it there to see what happens, with the push plate not threading it leaves me with just enough threads to put the nut on the pressure plate...

Now, it's all back together...I pull the clutch lever and nothing moves, whatsoever!

Now, it's back apart...I tried threading the push plate back onto the push rod and trying that...nothing. After trying various ideas and reading the book 4 times, putting it back together, I NEVER FIGURED THIS PIECE OF sh*t OUT!

I have both Clymer's and the Service Manual, nothing helped.

I was so stressed over this last night I could have pulled my damn hair out....I thought, well it will be ok in the morning....it's all I can think of!

Can someone help me, PLEASE!

The smaller rod needs to got to the pressure plate before it bolts to the clutch boss. The rod is how the clutch is adjusted,,,only!! Is the ball bearing in there? Did you align the dot on the pressure plate with the dot on the clutch boss. Did you use the wavy washer and is it installed with the right friction plate?

The smaller rod needs to got to the pressure plate before it bolts to the clutch boss. The rod is how the clutch is adjusted,,,only!! Is the ball bearing in there? Did you align the dot on the pressure plate with the dot on the clutch boss. Did you use the wavy washer and is it installed with the right friction plate?

I understand that the smaller rod has to go to the pressure plate. What I don't understand is how it bolts to the clutch boss, I thought it sits there freely. If it doesn't, how does the push plate go in?

The ball bearing is in.

Is the "wavy washer" the "cushion spring?"

I aligned the clutch boss with the dot on the pressure plate.

Reading more about it, I put the wrong friction plate on first...not too sure that's going to make that much of a difference though. A regular diameter friction plate first, then a metal plate, then the cushion spring, then the larger diameter friction plate, then a metal plate, another regular friction plate, metal plate, friction, metal, etc.

the only thing that holds the pressure plate on is the clutch springs. the nut in the center that the pushrod threads threw is just an adjuster nut and the one on the outside is just a locknut to keep the pushrod from moving. so if you take the pushrod and thread it in so that there is the most amount of threads towards the outside of the motor this gives you the most freeplay. then put the pressureplate on with the pushrod in and tighten down the clutchsprings. next thread the pushrod in until you have the correct freeplay in the system and it should work. you said you held the pressure plate by hand and it worked? does this mean there were no springs. if so you probally just had the pushrod adjusted to far out there is marks so that you can use a phillips screwdriver to move the pushrod in and out they strip easily though. hope some of this helped

I am having a problem some what like this...
I need a new clutch... I know do to stopping in gear without using the clutch
We took it apart and it seems that the push rod is melted to the ball.
I am having no luck finding one, the only one i found was $50!!
And its for a little rod (>_>)
If anyone has ideas that would be great thanks
(^_^)

p.s. is the push rod really 3 pieces?