clutch dosen't work!

MasonBraaps

Jul 9, 2015
96' blaster, the clutch doesn't engage, what could be wrong with it please list all possibilities. do i just need new plates, or do i need a whole new clutch, could it be something with my actuator?

more details, when did this begin ? did it ever work ? what did you do to change that ?..........

have you had it apart lately ? dots on pressure plate and inner basket aligned ?
internal adjuster nut tight and not worked loose ?
did you hold it in too long at high speeds ?...welded ball to rod inside.
proper slack in cable ?
loosen cable and see if pointer on actuator is aligned with raised notch on case right under the carb.
it is possible for the actuator to get worn and allow that side rod to slip past it

more details, when did this begin ? did it ever work ? what did you do to change that ?..........

have you had it apart lately ? dots on pressure plate and inner basket aligned ?
internal adjuster nut tight and not worked loose ?
did you hold it in too long at high speeds ?...welded ball to rod inside.
proper slack in cable ?
loosen cable and see if pointer on actuator is aligned with raised notch on case right under the carb.
it is possible for the actuator to get worn and allow that side rod to slip past it
I bought it like this.. Haven't had it apart because i have to get a clutch cover gasket, the actuator is aligned and not worn out, and the cable is fine.

I bought it like this.. Haven't had it apart because i have to get a clutch cover gasket, the actuator is aligned and not worn out, and the cable is fine.

Time to open it up and see whats going on in there.

shouldnt i wait till i can get a gasket so when i put the cover back on its all sealed and good?

no waiting, you may find other parts in there that need replacing, so get it apart and those ordered too if needed = quicker fix
clucth cover gaskets can be reused if taken apart without tearing it

no waiting, you may find other parts in there that need replacing, so get it apart and those ordered too if needed = quicker fix
clucth cover gaskets can be reused if taken apart without tearing it
someone told me once i start it up (havent yet, the motor is rebuilt) the clutch may start working...should i try this before i order stuff because i live in canada and shipping takes FOREVERRR.

warming up the engine, warms the trans fluid and helps it dis-engage if the plates are sticking.
it will not help it engage, which is what you originally said.

someone told me once i start it up (havent yet, the motor is rebuilt) the clutch may start working...should i try this before i order stuff because i live in canada and shipping takes FOREVERRR.
If the engine is rebuild and new friction plates are installed, could it be possible that the one who rebuild it didn't soak the new plates properly in oil? Thus not engaging?
Personally i don't think that's the problem,but you never know...

Last edited:
So it's not DISENGAGING. If you're going to get useful answers you need to express your question in the proper terms. Until I asked you that question, everybody here would have you taking it apart looking for a problem that you don't have. What you are experiencing is perfectly normal.

So it's not DISENGAGING. If you're going to get useful answers you need to express your question in the proper terms. Until I asked you that question, everybody here would have you taking it apart looking for a problem that you don't have. What you are experiencing is perfectly normal.
I said that its not engaging....the way I look at it when I pull the clutch lever in it should engage, so you got me all sorts of confused

When you pull the clutch lever it should disengage, allowing free spin. When engaging the clutch, the plates grab and the bike moves in gear. My bike hardly moves with clutch pulled in, in gear, unless the oil is warm/hot from running.

When you pull the clutch lever it should disengage, allowing free spin. When engaging the clutch, the plates grab and the bike moves in gear. My bike hardly moves with clutch pulled in, in gear, unless the oil is warm/hot from running.
Ok thanks for explaining I get it now

Change the gear oil , put a zip tie around the clutch lever holding it in , start it in neutral , get it rolling , the jump on , hit 1st gear and ride it around for while. Stuck plates will usually free up with heat and fresh "safe for wet clutches" oil.