Christmas quads... maybe

So I've decided not to fix the moto:( just gonna part it out. I refuse to put a used rear end in it or to pay 200 for a pinion gear and 400 for a ring gear, when I'm sure I can find a deal for something else. If all else fails I can go to Ga and get her a new china quad for 500. Still gonna do a compression check and get it running just for sale purposes, but I'm back on my shop addition for now

I'll get the hang of it. Missed a 98 moto 80 for $350 today, looked clean. I think its the fact that I ask questions that's making me miss good deals, but I wanna know what I'm getting if I gotta drive an hour or more. I live in bfe and the deals are always close to the city so I get beat

I understand that 1,i drove 100 mile round trip today,supposedly for 4 quads a pit bike and a 125m 3 whee;;er.I got there half the pit bike was missing and no quads,I did get the 3 wheeler:D.if you weren't so far away id sell you a couple of china quads cheap

Thanks man. Some day I'm gonna make it out that way, take the kids to Yosemite, mainly cause I wanna go lol.

Well I've been making some progress. Got the moto stripped down to the frame with the motor and handlebars, so I can part it out. Ordered a 10mm adapter for my compression tester so I can check the motor on both of these quads. Gotta get the carbs cleaned and see how they do. Gonna just throw the whole motor from the moto on ebay if it is good. Got the china quad tore down as far as need be and got some parts on the way. Peeled stickers of the plastics and got the rears cut how I think I want em, I still gotta sand and fine tune my cuts, but got all the broken crap outta there.
IMG_20141030_174055772.jpg
IMG_20141030_174109317.jpg

I gotta figure out what I'm gonna do about this crack
IMG_20141030_174722849.jpg

I need blaaster to weld it for me lol. I haven't the slightest clue on plastic welding. I was thinking about some fiberglass underneath and bondo the top, but I'm not sure it will hold up

So I may have found the problem with the carb
img_20141101_113809465-jpg.12477

Sorry the picture is not the best. So the jet on the right should be the main, as per its location. You can see the small dark spot is the hole, it is a 42.5. Not sure what the jet on the left is for, but you can see it is substantially larger, it is a 115. I'm wondering if someone cleaned the carb and got them mixed up. The pilot jet goes inbetween, its a 15. Everything else looks good, except for a bug before the needle seat, but it had a screen keeping it out
Edit: I looked for awhile and discovered this is called a constant velocity carb, and that the jet on the left is for the choke circuit, at least that's how the other cv carbs are. But I still can't find what the jet sizes should be, but I assume they were mixed up.

Last edited:
Baby steps on progress... Got the new brake lever on today, filled the reservoir about 4 times to kind of flush and bleed it. Brakes seem to be working good now and no leaks so that's a plus. Also got a new reverse lever on. Still waiting on parts to come in. Going to town tomorrow to get paint and a soldering iron for the plastics

To bad you didn't live closer, I'd sell ya this lt230 I just got to replace the one you can't fix. Needs works for sure but it has some nice features on it.

To bad you didn't live closer, I'd sell ya this lt230 I just got to replace the one you can't fix. Needs works for sure but it has some nice features on it.
Sounds like I need to make a trip to see my grandma up there (that's what I'd tell the old lady lol) I'll find a deal, or just go the Chinese route. She's gonna be ready for something bigger in a few years anyway.
fiberglass body filler is pretty strong,or sheet metal and rivets underneath,then a bunch of stickers to hide lol
I know they help with HP, but I'm not a fan of stickers and decals. I'm gonna try welding with the soldering iron.. it actually looks pretty easy. I have a couple other kind of hidden cracks to practice on.

Well nobody had the paint I was looking for, so have to wait on it to come in the mail too. I did pick up a soldering iron, so I'll be trying that out soon. Most of my other parts are in so as soon as I get some time I'll make some progress!

Alright guys check out my plastic welding job. It was a little tough, but not bad. The hard part for me was, its kinda like when you dig a hole... there's never enough dirt to fill it back in. Luckily I had lots of donor plastic laying around. Here's after I finished welding
IMG_20141107_085234488.jpg

IMG_20141107_085246759.jpg

After sanding
IMG_20141107_143950040.jpg

And after paint
IMG_20141107_180959563.jpg

The plastics are not the prettiest, but I didn't wanna spend a whole lot of time on them. They were in bad shape to start with I hit the bad stuff with my disc sander and hand sanded the rest with some 320. Found some more cracks while I was painting, but they're in spots you don't see so I'm just gonna let em go.

Got my 10mm compression fitting so I tested the moto n the marshin. Moto had 145 and marshin had 155. I have no idea what either should be, or what 4-strokes normally run, but it seems pretty good to me. Also a buddy stopped by when I was checking and I forgot the marshin was hooked up and it held 155 for about 30 min. Should be able to get it together and go for a test drive by next weekend. Got the baby this weekend and to cold at the shop so won't be much progress. Sucks cause I got all my parts and it won't take long to throw together

Reactions: bummer981
Yeah, I haven't had one in a few years so I bought the best lowe's around here had. Came with a few different tips. Used a pointed one to dig in and melt in the extra and then a flat one to smooth it out before sanding it.