Case splitter...

EZRider76

Feb 23, 2012
WNY
Anybody have a case splitter, with bolts and a crank puller they'd like to part ways with? PM me a price and we'll negotiate. I don't get notifications, so I'll checking from time to time...don't get frustrated if I don't respond for a day or two. Thanks.

Go to harbor freight and get a harmonic balancer puller to split the cases.

The crank puller you don't need either, sweat that crank in:)

You're assuming I live near a harbor freight and I have the time to go. Neither of which holds true for me. Closest HF is a 2 hour drive.

Wait wait wait...sometimes responding while at work doesn't leave me room to think. Let's think about this a second (insert sarcasm at any point).

Ordering online from Harbor Freight = waiting for tool to arrive and still not having the proper bolts to reach from the "claw" to the case. So, then I'd either have to wait and order the bolts, or make my own. Let's dispell the making our own really quick...do you know of any store that sells METRIC all threaded rod? Me either after 5 phone calls to "local" DIY stores...they should be ashamed of themselves. Now, buying some M6 bolts, if I could find some at the proper length (local DIY stores only have M6s at the same length or shorter than what came out of the case covers)...more wait time to order thru McMaster-Carr. Let's assume I ordered them at the same time and they arrived at the same time as the harmonic balancer...now I have to fab extensions to the "claw" to reach the bolt holes in the case. The mechanical engineer in me loves to fab, buuuuuuut...do I have material for the extensions? Crap, another run to the hardware store and hope they have something stiff enough to not bend when under pressure of splitting the cases...I'm thinking 1/4" thick minimum steel plate. Then, measuring, cutting, drilling and deburring...I don't like to bleed, so deburring is a requirement. Seems like a lot of work when I could just purchase one for ~$50.

I think, seeing how nobody has a tool to sell, lend on good faith or swing by and have a few beers and chat while I finish the job....I'll just order one from Amazon and kick back for a couple days, saving myself the trouble. LOL. Shoooot, I could've made me 4 sandwiches in the time I typed this (if you get this reference, you and I would be good buds). Don't get me wrong, the ideas are good ideas and I appreciate the alternative thinking, but not the most efficient for the job at hand. Work smarter, not harder!!!

Just thought I'd point out that the bolts for the steering wheel puller/harmonic balancer puller/case splitter go in the 8mm threaded holes on each side of the crank bearings.

Reactions: undergroundart
Just thought I'd point out that the bolts for the steering wheel puller/harmonic balancer puller/case splitter go in the 8mm threaded holes on each side of the crank bearings.

The harmonic balancer/steering wheel puller I saw at Autozone only had inch threaded bolts... Unless I missed something, there was only 4 bolts in the package. Oh well, the tool is in the mail now. Seems the mechanic gods have been fighting me on the cheap solution and teaching me to be humble.