carb leaking AGAIN

NEONNIGHT34609

Dec 19, 2010
FLORIDA
a few months ago i had an issue with the carb leaking out of the float bowl drain tube after beating on the blaster. i took the carb apart cleaned it. didnt find any issues. i put it back together and it ran like a champ. no leaks. today i take it the blaster out for a ride after about a week of it sitting. turn the gas on and it wont start. tap the carb with a screw driver and it fires right off so after about 40 mins of me beat it pretty hard it started breaking up i stopped and seen fuel was pouring from the same tube. i am guessing that i have a problem with the float and or needle and seat. but it just does not make sense to why it does this after i beat the hell out of it.

How old is your gas line and petcock filter? If there real old, they may be breaking up and clogging your float needle.

the gas will evaporate out in a short time leaving crap behind plus the alcohol in gas isn't kind on parts not really designed for it. I would suggest a new needle and seat.

That's a classic sticky float valve. The valve wears out and doesn't open and close properly when the fuel level moves up and down. It's usually not easy to see with the naked eye unless it is really old or worn, in which case the pointy rubber seal will be dry and shriveled or cracked. Sometimes the little spring in the opposite end of the valve will be stuck as well. Even if it looks fine just replace it and I can nearly guarantee you won't see this problem again for a couple years. You could get a full rebuild kit and freshen everything up, but I just removed the float needle and took it to my local parts shop, they had a carb parts assortment under the counter, matched it up and gave me two replacements for free, no questions asked. Check out the bottom of the article for a pic and description.

Carb Parts at Weeks' Motorcycle

just took the carb off and found black rubberish trash in it. i have a new float valve and seat. i cleaned the carb AGAIN. i am getting fast at that lol. heading out to put it all back together. float looks ok so i am gonna reuse that. will report back soon. while i am at it i have a set of graphite reeds i am going to put in it.