Carb help!!

RobCBlaster

Mar 1, 2015
Hi, if you see my other thread you will see i built an 01 blaster. Here are some pics of the final product!

100_1456.JPG

Think it turned out pretty good!

Complete top to bottom rebuild/frame stripped repainted with new bearings and other things

All in all ive spent a lot of money, my OWN money and thats not so easy when youre 16

When I first started it (second kick) it ran great and still does. However about 2 minutes after it was running i looked it over and saw a nipple on the right side of the carb that had nothing attached to it, so knowing that it could lean my bike out i blocked it off. Bikes seems to still run fine. Oil injection is deleted, pump is taken off. Was I right in my assumption or did I block off something else? Thanks!

Another funny story. Just when this blaster was ready to start, we checked for fire and sure enough.. zip. It took weeks to sort out the electrical issues (there were several) and its really hard to do this when you dont know the bikes history. It was the pickup coil for the stator, Very bad grounds all around and it turns out the tors was like half deleted? The ylw/blk wires were cut close to the plug near the carb, but i noticed the brain was still mounted and the plug in under the hood was still intact, unplugged those and fired like a dream.

Did heat cycles and needless to say my lawns lookin a little less green as it did a few days ago ;)

Cheers!

Attachments

• 100_1456.JPG
    100_1456.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 292
Yes you were supposed to block that off if that's what you're asking. Without the oil injection hooked up and the nipple left open it would cause an air leak and eventually fry your motor.

• First off nice job kid, way to get in there and do things and learn a little bit. Sounds like you did some homework before jumping into the project.
Yes , that niple should be blocked off like you did. It was for the oil line for the oil injection. Sometimes you may need to jump up a size on the main but not always.

thanks for the fast reply! Glad i caught it early haha! Another question!! I put TDR reeds in my bike, really the only mod that could make a big difference to airflow. Do I move up a jet size or two? The cylinder gets pretty hot in about 5 minute of riding but i hear thats completely normal? Im not concerned with how to jet and what jets to use because it isnt my first go at jetting but i just wanna know if you think its worth a rejet ! thanks

and thanks jus_me! I think ill definitely buy a few jets from a local dealer and try them out. I didnt know the oil injec block off could require richer jetting! thanks

What are all of your mods? Oil injection delete we know of.. Aftermarket pipe no right ? aftermarket filter, air bix lid on or off, holes drilled on air box lid ? /any mod that would affect air flow either into or out of the engine usually requires uping the jetting. reeds usually dont require a re jet but sometimes an aftermarket reed cage/box does. Yamaha semed to play it safe with a 230 main (some 220) and a small mod like eliinating the oil injection only sometimes would require going up one on the main. If ordering another main maybee get a few if you plan to make more mods down the road, this way you have them ion hand already and can save on shiping (jets can usualy be had for cheaper than fromthe stealership) /also grab a few b8es plugs so you can plug chop if/when you need. read up on dooing a plug chop if you hvnt already. You might just be fine though if you have no other mods other than oil injection delete...

One more thing,,, try and use the best oil you can afford. It doesnt have to be the best but atleast use something good.

It has an athena air filter and tdr reeds and oil injec delete. It has an fmf silencer but the header is stock. Ive been using lucas semi synthetic since the rebuild but im thinking about switing to belray h1r or something full synthetic. Suggestions?

I didnt know the oil injec block off could require richer jetting! thanks
As you have to add oil to the fuel, the amount of fuel in a given gallon of pre mix is less by the amount of oil you add.

The fuel now that is metered by the jets is now going to produce a fuel lean air to fuel ratio.

You may need to increase the main jet by one size and re adjust your idle speed setting.

Add oil to fuel = less fuel in the mix = lean AFR = heat = piston destruction!

Great post, because I just saw those same nipples on the two blasters I just bought, neither blocked off. I would have never even thought about it. Now I'll block them off.