Cant get it to run anymore! Please help/look

hotrodjrod

Dec 27, 2007
Dayton Ohio
First off, Im new, names Jerod, go by Jrod.

anyway, heres the deallieo.

Went riding xmas weekend. Ran great first day until later in the after noon. It started feeling like it was loosing a little power, but i had been adjusting the air mix screw between 1.5 turns and 2.25 turns just to play around with it, since i had gotten a new Pro circuit pipe. Still had the stock 230 jet in it, so i was just foooling a little.

I did richen it b4 riding by dropping the clip one spot down on the main jet needle.

Ok, next day, it started up great, (mind you it was about 35-40 degrees out) so i was happy. Let it sit and idle for a few minutes, and off we went.

It ran good for about 10 minutes, and we started taking videos and i parked it.

after i got back on it, it started kinda hard, and then didnt want to idle for crap, would just die if i didnt keep on the throttle.

so i drove it back up to the barn, and figured id check the plug, and maybe put a new one in.

Well, i did, and then it wouldnt start at all. I had my friend pull me around, and tried to pull start it, and it would run about half throttle and above, and would even drive itself no problems, but as soon as i got below half throttle, it would die.

Someone suggested my crankcase seal was blown, and i took some things off this eve, but im not positive where this seal is located. But in the proccess, i noticed that the compression seams VERY low, i could turn it over by hand with the gear on the end of the crank.

Suggestions? Kinda seems like a blown head gasket? I dont really know how long ago the motor was bored and had a new piston, but it would seem that this would have been gradually noticed, not just all of a sudden wont run type of thing.

Anyway, sorry for the long thread, hope you made it thru it all, lol.

Any help will be appreciated.

you may need a rebuild ** YOU NEED TO REJET WITH NEW PIPE**
you may have been losing compression all along, but never noticed it till you did a pretty good mod... you may also be correct in where you said blown head gasket..hmm...get back to us with what compression you have now

problem is I dont have a compression tester. Will the ones you rent from auto zone for a car work on the atv too? (assuming you can rent one from azone)

Also, I did have a DG pipe on the bike b4. And like i said, it had a 230 jet in it. i believe actually, at 220 is stock. I have a 290 in there now, since someone sent me one being nice on another forum b4 all this happened. But this was after the non running inccedent.

and when i say i can turn the motor over with my hand, I mean, i can litterally spin it with my thumb and finger. Im no woosy, but im not a hawk hogan either, I can tell you I have bad compression.

But like i said, i just cant see it going THAT bad, over night. I mean the morning it stopped running right, i kicked it 2 times and it fired up. then 2 hours later, and maybe 20 minutes worth of riding, Nothing.

can you check the head gasket without taking the motor off the frame?

OH, one more thing, When im kicking it over now, it seems to back fire back thru the carb every maybe 8 kicks or so. And i can smell burt up carb cleaner from when i pulled the carb the other day and cleaned it all out.

in case that helps.

thanks guys!

well like we said check comp if you dont have a comp gage remove the spark plug and put your finger to plug the hole and crank-it if your finger stay there oups you are in trouble and a brand new engine can be wasted in less than a houre with bad jetting

what jetting would you reccomend with a pro circuit pipe and a filter? I think she's ready for a rebuild anyway. maybe i'll just pull the engine and get it bored and a new piston. i dunno. I just wanted to get it running by monday, doesnt look like thats gonna happen :(

Was the airbox lid off? If so, a 230 main jet at 35-40 degrees and 10 minutes of riding = a very lean condition and your top end is toast.

2 reasons for backfire, electrical problems or timing. low compression will cause a small pop.

any possiblilty that it may have just burt up the rings?

And what all do i need to take apart to get the top end rebuilt? Can i do it without taking the motor off the bike? How much does this usually run?

Also, i was reading a couple other threads. Any chance a valve has stuck open? I really am chalking up most of the problems to not having compression. I seemed to have decent spark, so i doubt the flywheel key is sheered, and i completely unhooked the tors unit last night.

I took apart the clutch cover, and the gear to the right of it, as I thought thats where the crank case seal was, but it looks like a bearing to me?? Is the crank case seal between the 2 case halves?

Gonna try and take the head off tommorow, see if the gasket is blowed or the valve is stuck or somthing, may even have a hole in the piston?

No valves on a 2 stroke. It could be reeds gone to sh*t, but more than likly you toasted your rings and need to do a rebuild.

No valves on a 2 stroke. It could be reeds gone to sh*t, but more than likly you toasted your rings and need to do a rebuild.

I should have been more specific. I meant REED valves. sorry.

BUT goood news, well, kinda. I figured it out, thats the good news, bad news is, you are right, the top ring had a piece break off, and both were worn pretty good. i can rotate them all the way around the piston, and the bottom one was past the little pins in the piston, and was stuck under it!!

Either way, i made out all right. Cylinder looks great. No scratches, nicks, grooves, hardly even any wear marks, so I "Think" i may be able to get away with just a new piston and rings.

Wheres the best deals on them? I believe this is a stock piston, i dont see any stamped over boar markings on it, though i havent cleaned off all the carbon yet.

There is a part number inside of it, says 37F01 if that means anything.

Just gotta get it somewhere i can measure the cylinder and make sure i dont need to bore it, and I should be back at em.

Thanks for all the help guys!!