Can you ride without cotter pin in rear?

expect those rear tires to pass you up on the trail asap !
i thought it was a dog coming after me at first, but it was the rear tire :eek:

do not ride without the cotter pin

Yes it can be done if you do not value your life or others around you.

The pins are there for a very good reason, to stop the hub from coming off.

The nuts should be tightened to 87 ft lb and a new cotter pin inserted.

i went riding the other day and i dident have a cotter pin and the nut started to loosen ut so i used zip ties after i tightend it up so i could ried that day but you do need a cotter pin

expect those rear tires to pass you up on the trail asap !
i thought it was a dog coming after me at first, but it was the rear tire :eek:

do not ride without the cotter pin

I left one out on my last build, test riding down the shop road and my tire passed me up.

It doesnt matter how much you tighten them they will come off eventually without those pins.

The problem is that the torque on the hubs is huge and no matter how tight the splines, they move, so the nuts back off.
While I definitely use the cotter pins, I also locktite the axle. This keeps the axle splines from wearing out.
Downside is you have to use heat to remove the hubs, but tight new ones you often have to anyway.

Steve

I had a tire fall off once, luckily I was barely moving, not sure what or how it happened, but obviously the cotter pin must have fallen out and the nut fell off and the tire went right passed me, pretty scary, I wouldn't ride without one unless you plan on driving 5 mph for 100 yards.

i lost a front tire once.... all the nuts came off and it kept right on going straight after i made the turn into my driveway.... i laughed sooo hard

luckly i as going slow enough that i didnt crash, just hit brakes and stopped