can i get away with this?

dirtyblaster

Mar 26, 2007
ok, i buy a new gasket i put it on, and i put the top piece on, i put the 6 nuts and washers on, i torqued them down to 20 ft lbs but one only goes up to 15 ft lbs, i take the top head off and i find that the one stud that goes up to 15 ft lbs is coming out of its threads and some how script it. can i geta way with just bolting down the other 5 nuts? becuz i'm broke as Hell.

and how can that be fixed when i give it a rebuild?

when metal heats up it warps under stress. It would be easier to spent $5 now than buy a new head later, right? Just get a tap thats a size or two up, drill it, thread it and your done. studs are cheap and easy to get too. shouldn't take more than 45 minutes either. Or you can risk it. If it were me, i just had $200 worth of machining done on mine and wouldn't risk it. Good luck

I've used helicoils but like studserts better. Both can be purchased at most auto parts stores and can be done at home.

or

Ride the hell outta it until it craps and figure you will need a new head. They are like $5 on ebay. While in no way it's a great idea to run 5 20's and 1 15, it should hold for a good bit of riding. It's a 2 stroke, you won't get the optimum performance if she allows a pound or two compression, through, which it may not, but I bet donuts to dollars it will run. Right now you are looking at a gasket and some heli's or larger stud. Run it till you can afford it or it dies and you are still in the same boat excepts maybe you need the head shaved or a new head, only another say $20.

Not sage advise but, I understand broke and wanting to ride. Head issue are no biggy, it's when you get into the guts of the thing that it starts costing to fix it.

Just my .02 and worth what you paid for it.

A

so it looks like you have some work done. you can get studs that are 10mm on the cylinder side then have 8mm on top these will solve the problem forever and all you need to do is tap out the holes to 10mm. not to costly but once you get around to fixing it right that is the way to go.