building a mustang

4cfed

Jan 5, 2009
fond du lac wi
www.airfoolers.com
After the bad luck with the van an the falcon I'm building a fox body mustang! The wife an I talked an our true passion is cars, and we both love mustangs!

Posted her 300ex on craigslist.. 2 days later there is now a 88 mustang lx 5.0 5 speed rolling chassie in our garage :). No motor no trans no driveshaft, the driveline was used in a cobra kit car!!!

Soafter some looking an talking I found my driveline! 1968 ford 289 complete from carb to pan for $200! An a c4 trans from a buddy for $100

The body is clean so its gonna get some minor work, an painted maybe black, smoked headlights an smoked tail lights, an I'd like it to sit on 17" cobra r's

Driveline... 1.6/ 1.7 rockers, cam, ported e7 heads or a/m heads, long tube headers 2.5 inch exhaust with x pipe, 2500-3k stall, 373s out back

Just a fun street car! I'm shooting to have it done by spring but I may have it running before winter...

i kno it was a good deal on the trans....but other than that why would you wanna go through the trouble of puttin and auto in a manual chassis???? completely different center console.......you need a tcm.....have you thought this through and have you got this with the trans and/or motor????and the cooling lines for the trans and all that????
other than this its a good deal i guess...

I'm putting a auto in it because a stock t5 won't hold up, an a world class t5 or g force t5 is a grand+!!! An c4 don't use a tcm its old school son! No computers what sooooo ever! Carburated ftw!!!!!

Trans lines are minor detail I work at a parts store :). Build ford tough with autozone stuff lol! An besides autos are more consistant at the track

Id scrap the 289 idea or anything with a flat tappet cam and go roller.they're abundant not to menntion about 40hp more to start with.and use the e7's as they were intended as boat anchors.going roller opens you up to more cam options and aggressive cam profiles.the c4 is what I use use and prefer but have 95 cobra 5spd I'm thinking of swapping in.id be looking for the explorer/mountaineer drive train better heads,and block why start with 289ci when you can have 302ci no replacement for displacement.

And a v8 not the 4 banger t5 with upgraded shift forks and sychros will hold just about anything you throw at it on the streets.power shifting and traction is what kills the t5's.you won't have traction on the street.

289 an 302 share so much there like the 283-400 chevy motors same block diff bore an stroke, e7s can make power, bbuddy ofmine had ported e7s with bigger valves, car ran 10.90s on 10 psi of boost,

Cost wise I'd rather have a c4 wayyy cheaoper than buildin a t5, if I find a 302 before next weekend ill buy it if not ill play with the 289 an maybe build a 351 over winter..

I postin from my phone, maybe brando can take the pic of my mustang from my facebookn post it here for me

I'm putting a auto in it because a stock t5 won't hold up, an a world class t5 or g force t5 is a grand+!!! An c4 don't use a tcm its old school son! No computers what sooooo ever! Carburated ftw!!!!!

Trans lines are minor detail I work at a parts store :). Build ford tough with autozone stuff lol! An besides autos are more consistant at the track

maybe if you cant drive...

Manual makes the slow cars fast and the fast cars slow..lol
No one can shift a manual as fast or as consistent as the right auto transmission with the right shift kit..

maybe if you cant drive...

i will say that i think a manual is more fun to drive, but it doesnt matter how good you are, you wont be able to shift as fast as an auto with a shift kit. unless your hands and clutch foot are as fast as lightening, its just not gonna happen

edit: damn. i didnt read far enough i guess lol.

btw man, it looks like its gonna be a good build and a great car